Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro Laminectomy/Discectomy Week Ago Today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Greetings all!

A week ago today I had an L5-S1 micro laminectomy-discectomy, and was home feeling just fine a mere 5 hours later. (I've had a lot of people praying on my behalf, and I credit those prayers with the smooth sailing I've enjoyed throughout this surgery and recovery.) I have just one question at this point, as I'm not finding much info specific to it on line.

I lost my ankle reflexes a week or so prior to my surgery, and they haven't returned. While I realize that each of us heals differently and at our own pace, I'm wondering if any of you have a story to tell about YOUR experience with recovery if you, too, lost these reflexes.

Since I've been home, I've been walking, walking, walking. In fact, today I logged just over 5 miles. The only residual effect of my herniated disc is the loss of these reflexes and a little lingering numbness in areas of my foot. After the debilitating sciatica I'd endured for weeks (thankfully no longer), I'm as pleased as punch with my results!

Waiting patiently to hear from fellow ankle weaklings. 8>

06.17.09: Left L5-S1 micro laminectomy-discectomy

• Glad you're feeling so well, but be careful about overdoing it. This is a big problem with a discectomy. People often feel so much better that they jump back into prior activities that they haven't been able to do for awhile. They overdo and usually live to regret it. So try to pace yourself. Unless you were used to walking that far prior to surgery, you should GRADUALLY build back into a sensible walking program, and don't overdo other activities.

• Thank you, gwennie, for the reminder. You're right--I find myself forgetting that I just had back surgery. My neurosurgeon's nurse called this morning to follow up, and I asked her if there's such a thing as too much walking. She said if I start to tire or ache, cut back; otherwise, let my body tell me what's best.

So I'm glad to hear from those who have actually gone through the procedure as a voice of caution!

You've certainly had issues for some time. Are there new plans for next steps in trying to solve them?

I wish you the best. Thank you for responding to my first post.
  • Hello , nice to meet you. i did have my surgery 8 days ago, and still have swelling in the foot and ankle and calf, it hurts still quite a bit. did u have leg pain before and or after the micro surgery?? thank you for taking the time to read this,, Dennis
  • I didn't lose reflex, but I did lose some strength in the left foot. It got better pretty quickly after the surgery. (this was my L5-S1 md)

Numbness that I had in my calf and the top of the foot took about 6 months to fully resolve.
    (this was my L4-L5 md)

It took me some time to build my stamina back up again. Even a couple months post-op my lower back would get tired from standing at the sink washing dishes. But it does come back! :)))

Go easy and take care of yourself. Protect your back and the surgeon's work. Best wishes! :)

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • hi everyone,im going to have a microlaminectomy/microdiscectomy for my L4-L5. Im scared but have to be positive rather than jus do nothing with this weakness in my legs and these different kinds of pain in my foot(both).It happened like 5 weeks ago and the spine surgeon has to expedite it cause the weakness is getting really bad that i can hardly get up in a stairs.. Lets all hope and pray for our recovery and hoping for the best... only God holds the future and I know He will not abandon us! Take care everyone!