Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical laminectomy 6/9/09

shortfuse5691sshortfuse5691 Posts: 407
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well, I had my post op 6/23/09 and I can't return to work until July 7th now. My muscle pain is still severe. I added Soma 350mg to my routine. Will this help ?? I have been getting into my pool and after I am done my pain comes back worse. My doctor said it's like if anyone went out and ran 50 miles that was not in shape, they would be in major pain the next day. He said my muscles are sore from surgery and after each pool exercise I do it should be better. I am not to wear my soft cervical collar but It helps me feel less tired. He said it would make my neck muscles lazy. I have to do some range of motion exercises too, I can only move my neck about a inch to left and right and if i was nodding yes. Has anyone else had this surgery and have any suggestions. I think my pain level is still to high. Its depressing me some too. I have my own pool to exercise in also. Thanks all if you reply. :)
2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
Steroid injections series x 4.

• I have not had this surgery, but I do know, however, that it can be extremely frustrating and depressing to not feel how you expected to feel after surgery: so, I wanted to say hang in there! ;) I'm sorry you are having muscle pain. Also, sorry if this is ignorant, (me= L) ) but honestly, should you really be feeling that much better so soon after this procedure? (as I've not had it, I really don't know)

My prayers are with you that you will feel better soon! Take care, and keep us posted!

• Hi,

It took me 3 months to recover from a fusion due to muscle and nerve pain. I haven't had your procedure and I see you have had a fusion done in the past, but I imagine you need to give your recovery more time. Take it slow and steady! Let us know how you make on over the next couple of months.

• Hi Whyme & marirlpn, thanks for the well wishes, I suppose I am expected to feel better sooner then I thought. I am the most impatient person in the world and didnt expect the post op pain to be so high. I need to get past this next painful hump I suppose. I didnt realize my head would be anchored to a halo either and I would have 3 cuts in my head also. That annoyed the nerves under the skin in my skull which doesn't feel right either. I have been crying a lot also cuz of all the pain. I did have a fusion and it hurt as bad. This pain is in the back of the neck and on top of my shoulders and I can't move my neck at all and they want me too. With the fusion I wore a hard collar and moving my neck wasn't happening. take care, thanks. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.