Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need exercise advice for L5S1 bulge

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
I have searched and searched the internet and it always results in me reading these forums, so I thought I'd post myself and give it a shot.

I'm a 29 year old female with two young children. My youngest child is almost 2 and weighed 30 pounds at 6 months old. She weighs 34 now. She's been a load on my back to carry around.

I went to a Dr. because my low back hurt so bad I couldn't sit, sleep, exercise, or go to the grocery without it resulting in extreme discomfort. I don't consider myself a whiner. I don't like to go to the Doctor.

Three Doctor's and two MRI's later they found a broad bulge at L5 S1. And an extra vertebra in that area as well. He doesn't seem to be too concerned about it. I have another normal bulge in my upper spine but it doesn't bother me at all. This one is crippling me. Can't sleep, can't be active, can barely clean my house and care for my children. My hips, thighs, calves, buttocks, and obviously my low back. He prescribed lyrica, ultram, hydrocodone, and soma. I hate the lyrica it makes my brain feel like jelly, the ultram is okay but too much makes me dizzy and too little doesn't help. Soma helps me sleep but doesn't seem to alleviate any pain and I don't take it much. Hydrocodone is addictive and I'd rather not have that problem to go along with this one.

So finally, my question is I've been researching yoga positions, exercises whatever I can do to help heal it and I wondered what things were bad, what were good. Is arching bad? Is eliptical machine bad? Is bending to my toes bad? Walking hurts so much, I limp after going to the grocery. I cannot live my life like this and I'm just reaching out to see if anyone knows what I can do?
I called to ask my Doctor but haven't heard back yet. I feel like I'm just stuck with this miserable pain. I don't want to be this person.

Thank you for reading this.

• I have the same troubling disc problem. I've been off work for 16 months and I rarely leave the house. Has your Dr. referred you to a Pain Management Dr? They do injections and try other meds that can help your pain. www.chirogeek.com was a helpful site for me. I would ask the Dr first for a referral to Physio before doing anything to strain your back including excercise machine or strenous excercises. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • After reading ur post its like dajavu...my advice--def3inatelly get w/ ur back doc...I recommend a Neuro doc for sure.
    I get in the water alot and walk around and do light resistance. It helps take all that pressure of my lower back being in the water. GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!!
  • you will hurt you back even more .take the narcotics for the pain because anything else wont touch that type of pain .{note to the wise...if you are in genuine pain narcotics are good and as long as you dont abuse them and drink alcohol with them you will be fine ..you only get high when there is nothing wrong with you whilst you are in pain your brain is too busy processing the pain to get high from any narcotics .as for the lyrica i stopped taking that too as it fogged my brain and i gained 3 stone and went into urinary retention and had to come off them .you could try a good TENS unit on your lower back .if you want to exercise you could try swimming or pool walking ..but nothing weight bearing yoga and the other one pilates is too much for a knackered back .take it from one that knows i was a gym nut but now all i can do is swimming a good day}
  • Hi, 2young.

I experienced what you're experiencing, and after physical therapy (carefully determined by a qualified therapist to ensure optimal opportunity for improvement without further damage, so be careful of trying things on your own), including traction, didn't resolve the issue and my symptoms got worse, my doctor ordered an MRI, which showed a disc herniation at L5-S1. He immediately referred me to a top neurosurgeon in our area (i.e., my appointment was the next day!), he determined I needed surgery.

I had surgery June 17th, and it's been a Godsend. I woke up with the pain gone, and have only needed a regular-strength Tylenol or two since the surgery...some days nothing!

Bottom line? Pursue resolution, not just masking the pain. You'll be so glad you did, as you'll have your life back and your focus will no longer concentrate on your pain, but rather your wonderful family!
  • Bulging Disc in L5S1 area, DDD and Arthritis of Facet Joints. I'm Sorry to say that I've been dealing with Back Pain On & Off for 6-7yrs. The Bulging Disc showed up in MRI 6yrs ago and it still showed up on Recent MRI at same place 6yrs later. I don't know if it's my Bulge Disc that causes pain, spasms or what but OOOH It's Painful. I juust deal with it, I exercise normally, Treadmill, Exercise Ball Stretches, Physical Therapy, I like to Dance in my Room with my Fave music, I don't know if I should do that but I try to stay active so I don't lose myself. Even though many days I don't get out of Bed (except to cook,clean,restroom,care for child). By habit I trained myself not to lift my 35lb child only if necessary. I think lifting caused more problems bcs I would lift constantly and without bending properly, Do not lift anything heavy.
    I'm not an expert so I don't know what helps with a Bulge Disc.
    I would like to know though. Does Anyone know what helps a Bulging Disc??????
This discussion has been closed.