Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My MRI yesterday (among other strange things)

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I'd say yesterday was a very interesting day.

My lumbar MRI was scheduled for 12:30pm yesterday afternoon and my doc gave me two valium to make it through (I soooo hate MRIs - sooo hate them). My hubby was supposed to go with me and hold my foot during, but he called me in the am and said he couldn't leave his work so I told him "no problem, I'll handle it ok."

So, on my way there I take two valium and one pain pill. I show up and they take me right in. After getting into the MRI garb I was immediately taken in to get my MRI. This wonderful man (the tech) asks me if I'm ready and said it would take about 15 minutes. I said, "15 minutes? The last one I had took almost an hour!" He said, "You didn't get it here, did you?" and smiles. Made me smile. Sweet. So I take a deep breath and tell him that I'm ready, and in I go.

This was the easiest MRI ever. I didn't get that panicky feeling partly because the tube seemed bigger than last time and there were light inside the tube (my first one was almost completely dark). I'm sure the valium helped, too (ya think?). Before I know it, I'm being pulled out. The nice man looks and me and says, "Well, you just did something that most professional athletes can't do." What, I ask? "Spend 15 minutes inside of that tube. There are some very famous athletes that come in here and can't do what you did. You'd be amazed!" Cool - I feel like a superstar. I celebrated with a large peanutbutter cup blizzard and my new Dean Koontz book.

So, to continue my rambling, I get home and go in the backyard with Wally and there's a snake. YUCK. After I poked him with a stick to see if he was alive, we watched him slither over to the flower beds where I found a dove flopping on the ground with a broken wing. I forgot all about the snake. After a few calls, I found a vet that would take in a hurt wild bird, so I put the little feller in a towel-lined basket and rushed him over to the vet, talking to him the whole way. They'll let me know if he makes it or not.

Today, my back, butt and legs are just killing me, probably from all the activity (which would be a piece of cake for most non-CP folks). But I can feel proud that I had my MRI without a redo, I flushed a snake out of our yard, and gave a little dove a chance to live.

What a day. No wonder I'm exhausted! TGIF.

• You have just experienced an MRI with Valium, :D
    Aren't they MUCH better than the regular ones :D

I know that I had my first one without and the images were blurry, so I asked for the valium during number two. They forgot and me being BIG BRAVE guy did not remind them. They started the MRI and stopped when I was having a little trouble staying still again. They apologized because they had not noticed the Valium request till after starting. They took me back out and gave me the Valium, waited 45 minutes and did it again.

It was SOOOoooo MUCH better! Never again will I do one without, though, I am no longer allowed MRIs with my SCS. That thought worries me too....

Hhhhmmm I sense a pattern =))
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Cathie, sounds like your MRI was easier than anticipated (Or those Valium were 1,000,000mg doses.
    So , now you just have to wait for the MRI report.

Snakes - cant say I like them also. Know this is a tip for all you wilderness type folks:

1- Snakes - Rounded head snakes are non-poisonous. Its the type that have triangle shaped heads that are poisonous.... Well about 90% of the time. Coral snakes are very poisonous and they have round heads.
    So we have only a 10% chance of getting bite by a poisonous snake as long as know they have round heads

And this one if for you real wilderness camp out type people:

A- When you are approached by a bear (Brown or Black) you have three choices in what to do:

1- Run (Bad move, they sense fear and will chase and hunt you down

2- Freeze, dont move (Better move, unless the Bear is angry he/she will probably just sniff around you and go on their merry way.

3- Become a Bear- Start with a loud roar, thumping you chests, nostrils flaring and charge the bear, arms flapping all over while you are a hooting and hollering. Field and Stream supports this move.
    75% of the time, this will intimidate the bear especially if he/she senses you as the more aggressive animal. 25% of the time.... Oh well

Now how did I get started on this???
    Oh, Cathie's backyard snake

More importantly, I am happy your MRI was easy... Now relax for the weekend
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • So happy things went smoothly this time! Doesn't it make you feel all good inside when you help an animal? Good for you! >:D<

I had to laugh at #3 in Ron's post, I would definitely be in the 25 percentile, I'd be eaten alive. =))

• Just had one in my garage a few weeks ago after some storms (I live near creeks). I have seen rattlesnakes before and this had a similar pattern, but was coiled so I couldn't see its tail. Called a friend to help while I went to google...Something I learned is that non-venomous snakes have rounded eyes, venomous ones have those slits (if you care to get that close). Mine turned out to be a rat-eating snake. As far as the colored ones go, "Red to black, friend of Jack (OK), Red to yellow, kill a fellow (bad)". Good to know what snakes are prone to your area and which ones are OK or not.
  • So glad you did well in the MRI and so thoughtful of you for caring for the bird . The snake welllll not my thing . And by the way ,ALL HAIL TO THE VALIUM GOD . best wishes on you results. Rebel Renee
  • i asked my mri technician if two glasses of wine was ok for keeping me from going bonkers during mri. i got his approval and now i must say i look forward to the most relaxing of tests! =)) >:D< :-C =D>
  • I'm impressed. Cool about the valium helping you. I had a 2 hour MRI once (yes 2 hours, they scanned neck, thoracic, and lumbar a day after my first ACDF trying to find out what went wrong). I was probably doped up on oxycontin then so maybe that is why I made it through. I just remember it was a long long time and being worried what was taking so long.

Snakes, you're a brave one to be poking at it, and a kind soul to save the little dove.

I hope the MRI gives you the information you need.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Sounds like you had an interesting day courtesy of Mr. Valium ;)

I sure wished my last MRI was 15 minutes. I had it with contrast and it felt like I drank a whole bottle of Jack Daniels because it caused a very warming sensation down my throat and into my stomach. I fought back the urge to vomit :& ..barely. What a royal mess it would have been! I HATE that contrast dye. Thankfully I made it through 45 minutes but I was hurting a lot and felt unstable walking. I hope that's my last MRI for a long time.

Speaking of snakes, one time we found a nest of coral snakes in our back yard :O Sorry PETA, but I don't care for snakes either; I'm terrified of them and stay the hell away. We lived on base so they sent out a unit to collect the nest. Don't worry, I'm sure they were relocated back to their habitat.

Please keep us posted on your MRI. Take care :H
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    A very interesting day! You must have still been feeling the effects of the valium when you were poking at the snake! I'm scared to death of them...big, small, and all colors and shapes.
    I'm glad your mri went so well. When do you expect to get the results?
    What did your puppy do when he saw the snake? Hope the dove makes it too.
    Have a nice evening.
  • Very happy to hear that your MRI went off without a hitch. Good job!

Snakes, well they have their place in the world too. Glad you could find a vet to take in wild hurt birds, most don't.

Enjoy your weekend,