Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, I'm new here

JenGJJenG Posts: 232
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in New Member Introductions
I just found this forum and have yet to get into it but thought an introduction might be a good start.

I am nearly 4 months out from fusion surgery for Scoliosis. I was fused T4 to pelvis in March this year. I was fortunate that it went well and apart from the usual hiccups of horrendous constipation whilst in hospital and, 6 weeks later, withdrawals from Oxycontin, I have had a good recovery.

At this point, I feel normal apart from flexibility issues e.g. can't put socks on or tie shoe laces but recently I managed to shave my legs for the first time.

I haven't had pain since I came home from hospital, initially it was covered by the Oxycontin, then when I came off it, I just didn't get the pain back. I have had none of the pain I used to have pre-op either, not that it was ever as bad as some cases I have read.

I am now 58 years old and thought the input of a "fossil" might give hope to any older members considering surgery. For me, it was most definitely the right thing to do. But I do realise every case is different and we must decide for ourselves.

I am now going to start reading this forum.

Cheers, Jen
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome Jen! So glad to have you here! And so glad you had such a positive outcome from such a major overhaul on your back! Of meds in 6 weeks and no pain? You are my hero! :-C

>:D<
  • I am a member of two other forums, both for Scoliosis surgery. I know this one's a bit different but I can never read enough or learn enough. Going into surgery, I learned so much from these forums and am very grateful for others who shared their experiences because the surgeon wasn't terribly forthcoming. Mind you, I was so stunned at the news that I needed this surgery, I couldn't think of very much to ask him. It was later that all the questions flooded in. And that's when I began reading and finding out for myself.

It's often the way that people who have successful surgeries, don't come back to the forums, they are too busy getting on with their lives and good luck to them. However, I was so grateful for the information I received, that I hope I can put others' minds at ease with my positive outcome.

Pre-op, I wanted to be told honestly, the good, the bad and the ugly, and that's what I got!
  • Hi JenG, and welcome to Spine-Health. :H

I joined several weeks ago and can tell you that you don't stay "new" for very long if you're interested in what other people are experiencing and are willing to contribute. After the truly huge surgery you went through so successfully, I can see that you're going to be an inspiration and encouragement to many hurting people!
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. thank you for your story. =D> it is always good to hear of a successful recovery.. <:P drop by anytime! good luck as you continue to recover.. :D Jenny :)
  • glad youre with us. and great to hear of such successful surgery. by the way youre not a fossil. i'm ten years older than u. There are a few older people here. will you be going to work after recovery?
    pete
  • Thanks for the great welcome.

Pete, I do hope to go back to work. The surgeon told us that I shouldn't consider it for 12 months but I feel so well, I feel I could go back now. However, my partner is always reminding me, I haven't had enough time to heal inside yet, no matter how good I feel. He brings me back to earth.

He just told me that he feels the next three months will be the "dangerous" time for me because I feel I can do anything, but really I shouldn't because I won't be fused yet. He's right of course. I do have to try not to be impatient, one of my faults!

The more I read this forum, the more I see a lot of folks who've had more than their fair share of pain and disappointment. To any Australians here, I would heartily recommend Dr. Geoff Askin at Mater Private, Brisbane, if you're looking for a skillful spine surgeon.
  • Hi Jen,

Welcome to Spine Health and congratulations on your successful surgery. You are so considerate to post your stories to inspire others to have a positive outlook on their upcoming surgeries.

What a great surgeon you had --- your scar looks incredibly great. Your before and after pics say it all!

Best to you and heed your husband's warning -- take it easy so as not to mess up that great work.

Cheers to you too!

Judy
  • Yes, I was very lucky with my surgeon. And lucky with my partner as well! Thanks for the welcome. I hope I can be of some help, somehow, on this forum.
advertisement