Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can someone help???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
Do you know if thoracic spinal pain can mimick lumbar (low back) pain? I've had so much pain and so many problems that indicated low back pain but I wonder if it's my T-spine mimicking L-spine pain because they didn't see anything major in my MRI 7 months ago. I had another MRI yesterday and will be going to a 3rd opinion on Monday. Help! I HAVE to get some pain relief no matter what it is. My lower back on the right side, my right hip and right leg is KILLING me. I can't stand long enough to take a shower or cook, etc. It's only getting worse... could it be something else making us think it's my lower spine? I don't have any female organs except an ovary on my left side so it can't be that. What else could it be but my lower back? I'm almost at my witts end... my 2nd opinion doctor prescribed Hyrdrocodone (Vicodin) and I do not want to take this stuff for pain for a long time... even this doesn't take the pain totally away!! What now???

• hi i'm pete and am also a person of pain.
    it's not easy to diagnose where pain initiates. mri's don't show everything. and all the nerves start running down from the top of your neck. you know your body is in pain. youre doing the right thing by being persistent. get several opinions and when your suffering don't give up in finding solution. your going in the right direction. keep us posted and feel free to ask more question or tell us how severe your pain is.
    we are here for you and we wish you thebest >:D< pete
  • The most important thing I've learned from being a member of this site is that MRI's don't necessarily correspond with pain levels. If they didn't see anything "major" on your MRI, it doesn't mean it's NOT your lumbar hurting. It doesn't have to be "major" to give you serious pain.

I'm not sure if thoracic issues can mimic lumbar pain since both of mine hurt - but pain meds are pain meds and what works for the lumbar will work for the thoracic.

I hope you feel even the slightest of relief...soon.

• I don't know what else to do. We'll see what the 3rd orthorpedic surgeon says Monday. All I do know is that I'm tired of the pain. I work at school so I'm out right now and if I were working I'm not sure I would be able to go in some days. It also is worse when my bladder or bowels are full. Weird? I'm just gonna write down everything they've done and tell him I don't care what it is I just want relief! Ugh!
  • I am so sorry but I can't give you any answers.

All I can offer is understanding....a shoulder to cry on....an ear to listen with and right now a huge hug.... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Hello -

After reading your post I think it's safe to say that if you're having t-spine problems, the referred pain can definitely be in the same area as would be caused by l-spine issues.

As for your pain med (hydrocodone/vicodin), keep in mind that NO pain med is ever going to relieve ALL of your pain. A pain management Doc will tell you to ONLY expect a 20 to 40% decrease in pain level regardless of what med you take...so hoping for anymore than that is only setting you up for disappointment.

Take care and all the best to you, hopefully you'll get some lasting relief soon!

• Hi mama...

I feel for you, it is so frustrating to be hurting and not know the cause. Your post made me think of a classmate who told me she'd been treated for back trouble for years and finally somebody thought to check her hips. She was in a wheelchair by the time they discovered her hips were completely gone. She underwent an immediate hip replacement and the other hip a year or so later. Her doctor apologized profusely for missing something which should have been so obvious. To me, the moral of that story is to ask wide-ranging questions and be your own advocate. Nobody feels the pain you have but you, as is frequently pointed out on this board. I hope you can find a timely answer to your pain. :)

BTW, my surgeon told me that Vicodin will not relieve nerve pain, so you may need a change in pain med if that's where your pain is coming from. Best wishes!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I too can understand the frustration of not knowing whats causing the pain and the physical limitations. As the others have said ask lots of questions-even if you write questions as they crop up at home. The pain medication is probably the first thing to address. Once you have a bit of relief then you can free the mind-up to explore other coping stratagies. The problem of standing-try putting your weight through your other leg and leaning on the bench or chair, may help. In the shower try a plastic chair or maybe a grab-rail to help support your weight. Then the usual hot water bottle-don't burn yourself, recliner with pillows for extra support etc. Be a little kind to yourself, read the postings here and maybe you will pick-up clues for yourself and whats happening with your back. I'm sorry you are having such a terrible time, keep posting and know people here do care about you and will offer help if they can-Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • one half spoonful of applesauce helps to swallow pills.
  • A local chiropractor has this machine which applies decompression to your back whil you are strapped in a horizontal position. He claims good success rate for treating back pain. Has anyone heard about this "machine" and have knowledge of how successful it can be? The DRX9000 is the only name for the machine and its is. It is not the other less sophisticated inversion gagetry.
  • You need to start you own post to find the information you are seeking. This is the proper way of getting responses for you questions.
This discussion has been closed.