Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Itching to dump my cabin fevered brain - newbie to back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm a pretty big guy, strong body, do (did) everything myself. So when I wrecked my back about 2 months ago it was a very crushing blow. I'm still suffering from depression, but overall my condition is improving markedly in the past week. Prior to that I was unable to walk (due to pain), sit, stand, sleep.
I was told that it was a sacro-illiac joint sprain along with a torn Quadratus Lumborum and torn Psoas, and torn interior oblique. I'm still smacking my head trying to figure out how. All I did was pick up the office water bottle, rotate, lean forward and . I actually heard the pops (more like wet thuds).

I was told categorically that I did not rupture a disc - but I just can't believe that. However I'd like to understand what a ruptured disc feels like so that I can put that out of my mind for good. At no time have I ever felt PAIN, all I've ever felt was an incredible sense of pressure in my hips and kidney area. Vitamin Ibuprofin (1800 mg a day) helps tremendously.

• Youre fortunate you don't have pressure on yourspinal column because if you did it would be the last big water bottle you would ever lift. Here's what it feels like.
    did you ever hit the funny bone in your elbow? there's a tingling, numbing and painful sensation. Well magnify that by several times and send it down your legs. You cant stand for even a minute and even sitting is excruciating. There are also cold feelings in your legs. :( :(
    I'm a big strong guy too and believe me it's like no feeling you would ever want.
    So rest and feel good that you don't have sciatica. :*
    take care >:D< pete
  • Welcome to SH :H Well, when I suffered a disc herniation, it felt like someone took a bat to my lower back, and I had a burning, searing pain cut down through my hip, buttocks, and the back of the thigh all the way down to my foot. I would get funny bone elbow pain that Pete mentioned in my big toe and heel. On top of that there are severe charlie horse muscle cramps in the calves, hamstring, and foot. As a female, I feel like I gave birth to a cynder block. This pain gets worse when you sit down or drive.

I apologize if I was too graphic but I hope this helps to answer your question. Take care
  • Hello and welcome! I'm sorry you had so much pain, but what a relief that you are getting better, without so much damage! In the future, remember, use your legs to lift (it's not just something people say to sound smart lol) and definitely get in there enough so you don't have to lean with that heavy bottle!

Take care, and keep us posted on your recovery!!

• Well from the sounds of it I did not rupture a disc and it sounds like I don't WANT to do that.

As for my own progress, I was in agony for about 6 weeks, on the 7th week (2 weeks ago) I wasn't in agony but felt like a geriatric patient - walk at a slow pace, pick up no more than 5 lbs, standing for longer than 5 minutes was almost impossible, not to mention I gained weight like a whale. Last week my progress was incredible, I woke up one day and felt great - mowed the lawn (all 1/3 acre of it), worked on the bike, still no heavy lifting (anything heavier than my cat causes sharp pain in my L4). Any pain is eased with icing and no longer lingers for days and weeks as before.

At this stage all I have is soreness in the morning, mostly sacrum aches, still won't lift anything over 20 lbs, and my obliques and knee are killing me. It's like the injury set off a chain reaction, back is injured, heals, abdominals injured from actually being used, heal, knee injured from weight distribution change, repeat ad infinitum.

Does the ibuprofin actually hinder the healing process after a certain point?
  • So glad you are feeling better, and that nothing major is wrong with your back !(although for 6 weeks you thought so, I'm sure!) RE: Ibuprofen... I know it can cause major problems with stomachs, (I actually got an ulcer using it!) and can inhibit bone growth, but I've never heard that it can hinder anything else. But if you aren't sure, call your doctor!

Hope you continue to have success in your recovery!

• i don't believe there is any thing but good that can be done by using it. it reduces swelling and reduces pain. the only time ibuprofin is bad is when bones are being fused and that's because it can thin the blood a bit. just keep an eye on your stomach because it can do serious damage. sounds like youre on the right track
  • :H Glad to hear you're feeling better. But a word of warning, be VERY CAREFUL about doing too much too soon or you may regret it greatly. I can't believe you cut the grass. Hope your lawn mower is self propelled (LOL)! It's very easy to re-injure yourself so GO SLOWLY. I know most men are "Hard Headed" (including my own) but you've got your future well being at stake.

Take care,

• I know what you mean about going slowly.

I must have been pretty depressed at the time (or delusional) but after about 4 PT sessions my back felt pretty good, this would have been week 4. So I thought to myself, "well'p it's time to get on the bike again." So I hopped on my motorcycle and drove to work.

Felt okay, until I took a walk to get lunch and BAM! my QL spasmed big time and didn't stop for a week. I definitely learned my lession there.
This discussion has been closed.