Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

?? Anyone had this happen!!

cherrybabyccherrybaby Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone! :H
I have left a few post latly and not really had any replys. So I would like to know if anyone has had to go threw this???
I had plif level one last July. Bout a month to two months ago I started to have problems again. I have the back pain plus, pain in the top of the butt area, cramping felling in the calfs that goes to the ankel then wraps around the ankel and across the foot and the foot fells like it is on fire!!
I see the doc last Wen. and he said the xrays looked good. and that there are a few things to do
1~ do nothing and take pills for the pain.
2~ do a cat scan and see if it is the bone growing that is causing the problem.
If not that do an MRI again to see if it is the diask above it going. then probably surgery again!
3~ if it is not those thing then think about taking the hardware out and hope that is it!
I am soooo streesed about what to do! I can not find a job right now cause I have the permint weight restriction on 25lb. for life ad the Doc put it in the notes! ~X(
I am not sure if workers comp is going to cover this or not and I just do not know what to think or do about it all. We are waiting to see if they will ok the cat scan as of right now! :W :W :W
If any one can tell me what they have done in this ssituation I would really appreciated it!!

• Hello Cherry! I'm sorry I have not had your specific experience, so I won't be much help. :< I can tell you that it's your body, and you have to really tune into it now, and listen to what it's telling you. :?

If you have insurance, I don't see the harm in having the tests run. However, if you are having to pay cash, back to tuning into your body. The doctor gave you choices, and, however hard it may be to make them, they are yours to make. I hope someone else is able to help you further with this dilemma!

In the mean time, I pray you feel better with each second that passes!

• I had my surgery just days after yours -

I still have a daily backache. My NS has suggested I consider getting my hardware out as well. Who knows if it's the cause of the ache or if I'll just mess things up more if I let them go back in for a surgery??

I also have shooting pains that go across the middle of my back, at about the top of my scar - I worry about my L3 - it's not in good condition.

As far as your leg being on fire - I can't help on that, my right leg is still numb from my surgery.

I suggest getting all the tests done before considering a surgery - has your NS said anything about a discogram? That could be the cat scan that he's talking about - they do a cat scan after the discogram. I really believe in discograms by the way.

Best of luck and hang in there!

I get to see my NS tomorrow - maybe I'll see what's going on with the possible hardware removal...
  • Looks like you've already been through a lot. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but X-rays and MRIs don't always show the problem. To me, he words "the x-rays look good" mean nothing except that the x-rays don't show everything. Last year after I had a laminectomy I was still getting numbness in my right hand. After persistently complaining about it to my surgeon, he finally ordered an MRI. He said the MRI did not show anything wrong (I can't tell you how disappointing that was), so he sent me to a neurologist, who sent me for PT. Weeks of PT never helped, so the neurologist ordered a myelogram, which showed what the MRI didn't, and that is when they finally recommended surgery. It seems like surgeons won't believe there is a real a problem until they can see it in an image. I don't agree with the "do nothing" approach, not when I'm in pain. I mean, I can understand "do nothing" if there is reason to believe the problem will resolve itself, but living with chronic pain is not acceptable to me. I hope your insurance will cover the scan. I can understand why you are on Zoloft. I take Wellbutrin. Life's difficult enough without having chronic pain too.
  • thank you for repling to this post! workers comp should pay for it!
    Just when i think nothing else could go wrong it dose!!! my husband just got laidoff so now neither of us have jobs!! I can not find anyone to hire me when they hear that i have a weight limit that is not temp.!! what is everyone doing to get money comming in if you are on weight restrictions????? ~X( ~X( :''( :''( 8} 8}
  • So sorry Cherry! Our family, too has gone through an extremely scary (almost) year, after I had to stop working last July. At first, it was ok, I had savings, and we got food assistance. Then it got a bit scary when we had to start using my oldest sons credit card to pay bills. It got even worse when we had to start selling stuff, and I had to go to my brother (one of 4 siblings I can count on!) to help pay the power bill. We faced homelessness on several occasions, always to dig our way out with garage sales, and a few hand-outs.

Although this is an extremely difficult time in our Countries life, as well as all unemployed (through NO FAULT of their own), we just have to keep on keeping on, right? When I was at my most scared, many people here gave me great suggestions, if you care to look up "facing homelessness" on the forums, you may find the post.

I suggest the first thing you do (even if you DO have savings! Is go to your local social services office (DHSH) and apply for services: food assistance, cash assistance, medical assistance, anything you can qualify for! Another thing, have you applied for SSDI, it can't hurt, and it might help!

As much as it seems so, you are not alone, and we will be here for you!

Good luck and let us know how things are going!

• I agree with Whyme, sign up for EVERYTHING NOW! Go search them out and sign up! You are in the position that they will likely approve you for most everything and while we tend to not want to accept this or admit we need it, things will be easier.

As for you! You have your doctors recommendations list. I would get with W/C and follow the list to conclusion! It simply is the way to possibly find out exactly what is going on! take it one step at a time, one test at a time. Remember to tell your story to everyone you see while doing it. You never know who may suddenly say "What about???" and that may be the thing that has been missed.

Hope you do well and jobs become plentiful...
  • i am actuly on the phone right now trying to find out what in the world is going on with my food stamps and medical case!! I have not appled for SSDI yet!! Right now i am trying to get my daughter that was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome at the first of the year! thanks again for everything
    well denied for food stamps!!!!!!!!!!!
    the sad thing is my husband worked more and made more when we were on them befor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :''(
  • How is it even possible to be denied FS when you have NO income? I think they screwed up there, I would double check with them~!
  • Unbelievable. And they give out assistance to a bunch of people who have no business getting help.

I also agree with everybody that you should still keep applying for any help you can get. Some organizations help out with a one time rent payment and utility bill. Check out the food pantries too; sometimes they give vouchers for clothes and shoes.

I think the most you can make to get food stamps is $1816.00 for a family of 4. Anyway, don't give up; there's help out there but you may have to do some digging to find it. I'm grateful for my SSDI benefits because I can't work and my husband is the breadwinner of the family.

>:D< I pray that things work out for you and your family Cherrybaby. Take care
  • To hear that you're dealing with so much!
    I agree - listen to your body. Hard to do when so stressed out.
    If you go to benefits.gov, you can fill out questions that will tell you all public assistance that you may be eligible for. You should also check into AngelFoodMinistries.com - I've been getting food boxes from them. It's good food.

Keep us informed.
  • thanks for all of your soport!! I got a letter in the mail friday and workers come ok the cat scan!!!! so now i am waiting to get the appoitment set up!!