Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

seletive never root injection

spars12sspars12 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
just saw the doctor at the pain clinic on this past friday .. he is hot and heavy to do this seletive never root injection at L4-L4 and L5... to "JUMP START MY BACK"

i have a wicked neddele phoba so this scars the hell out of me lol big chicken ... i have been seeing the chiropractor for over 5 years .. i got draged there when i could not walk .. a huge trust with him and a long two years i stay stable most of the time ...

i have flares that set off easyer each time ... i miss abought 6 months a year from work with my flar up's .. the pain i have come to accpte as just the way it is ... i am scared as hell of getting too far into the pain meds as i want relife to come when i realy think i am going to go out of my minde with it lol short trip....

my primery care doctor i feel just dose not get what is going on .. and i am trying to get him to understan ... i have applyed for disabilaty but lol they suck ... long time and those crazy loops to jump in and ouyt of...

my question is this seletive never root injection .. is it worth a temp relife or do i save that for when the chiropractor dose not work anymore????...........

• Hey there Spars12,

I've had one of those. It's really no different than any other epidural injection.

You won't see any needles, or feel anything more than a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) sting from the numbing stuff they use. The whole thing takes about 5-10 minutes.

With these, they are going for directly where they think the problem is as opposed to a regular epi. Someone explained to me that an ESI is like a shotgun blast, a SNRI is like sniper fire.

It did help me alot, more than the ESI.

Good luck and don't be frightened, there is no reason to be.

Best wishes,

• OK, keep in mind this is just my experience in my personal life.

I've had many selective nerve root injections. The purpose of mine was diagnostic. If the marcaine/lidocaine took away 100% of the pain, then my doc knew that that particular nerve root was the pain generator. The "caine" medicine that is injected would give me about 30-45 minutes of instant relief. Some docs say that steroids will irritate a nerve root more. I've had steroids and have to say that in the nerve root injections they really didn't do anything for me. But the diagnostic aspect was invaluable.

Pain-wise: For me, it hurt a little bit more than an epidural. I recommend taking your pain meds/valium, whatever beforehand and then use an icepack as soon as you get out to the car. For me, the ice was just as good as meds as long as I didn't move.

Another personal opinion: If you have nerve issues, I personally would NEVER EVER let a chiro do any kind of manipulations on me.

If doc recommended a nerve root injection, I would personally go for it. Yeah, it might be some temporary pain, but you might get some relief from the steroids. And, if it immediately takes away all of your pain, it is very helpful for the doc to identify that that nerve root is the specific pain generator.

Just my opinion. BTW-I used to faint with even a blood draw and I was able to lay still(with my normal valium and narc dose) for the injections, though I sure did cuss a lot! :) ER nurses swear like sailors, don't think the doc was prepared for that the first time!
  • Also, this may help clarify issues with your insurance/disability company. Another one of those hoops to jump through, but it might help document things for your situation.
  • I saw my chiropractor yesterday and we talked a bought this plan for the Selective Nerve Root injections. He said he felt that they would not help me and the P.T program would not do me any good ... over the past 5 years I have had 3 failed P.T. programs that set off flair ups lasting for 3 to 4 months...

Now trying to get my primary care doctor and my chiropractor to play nice together.... my chiropractor is going to send my primary doctor his reports on what’s going on....

Right now I am in flair up a bought 2 months into it and seeing the chiropractor and the primary doctor who at this point is starting to get it just how much this totally messed up....

The Nerve Root injections and possibly more dramatic things I know are waiting down the road or sooner ... just scary as hell that the more I look at things and treatments the more reason to question what doctors say.... lol I went to a neurologist that wanted to do surgery this was his first 5 minuets I saw him before he even looked at me.... he is now "OFF MY LIST"...

Who the hell do you trust??? And why do doctors look at you stupid if you don't agree with them???.....ernurse ... so far the chiropractor is the only one to help me so far.... I went from not walking to a funchual mess that I am today lol....my primary kept feeding me pain meds and mussel relaxers telling me it will get better ........
  • Hi spars, and welcome! I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your pain under control.

I've been given the same line "it won't work for you" about many things in the past 6 months since my surgery. First, my surgeon refused to put me on neurontin or Lyrica when my pain was not controlled by 10/325 percocets. Then just a week ago, both my surgeon AND my PM said no injections because they wouldn't work for me. At the very same appointment my PM said this about the injections, he put me on *gasp* neurontin, which took away all pain except the mechanical pain!

I suppose my point is, keep after them, make sure they don't forget how your feeling, and if you don't find they are doing anything to help you, get another opinion!

Another thing, I believe you meant "Neurosurgeon" instead of "Neurologist", and in this case I have something else to say. Unfortunately, in my experience surgeons of ANY specialty exist to do only one thing: cut on you. I've never been to a surgeon that hasn't reminded me when I say "but I don't want surgery" that they ARE a surgeon, afterall.

In other words, you need someone to be your advocate, someone to trust to have your best interests at heart, someone that will run tests so that the best course of action can be ascertained. Then he/she and you will know that everything has been done to figure out EXACTLY what's causing your pain. Have you been to a PM/Physiatrist? (check out http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/physical-therapy/what-physiatry if you don't know what that is)

I wish you the best, and please, keep us posted!