Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Chronic Pain
I am a30yo male, in good health, 20lb over what I weighed at 18, and suffering from increased lower back problems. I seem to be able to lift at times without problems. The other day I was using a screwdriver in a seated position and felt something get weird that was was it. It locked up and I was walking like I was 80yo. I have had 2 other painful episodes in the past week that crippled me because I am active and need to get things done.

I have been researching chiro work and have been trying all sorts of things. Backed went into spasm hard last night. I was having my sister rub on my back a bit and she pushed down on my back just below my waist line and I thought I was going to scream. When I feel my back, the muscles that hurt are around the L3 area, but when my sister pushed on my back, the area that caused cringing pain was "below the belt". This has led me to thing I have SI problems causing my pain.

I can also rehab this injury and lift fine in 1 week though I might pay for it with more pain. Can anyone tell me if this seems like SI problems or what else I might try to either confirm it or something else?

• One suggestion - MRI. Of your entire spine if you can get a doctor to order this.

That way, you will get a clear picture of what is going on, thus doing away with guess work. Believe me - that's the LAST thing you want to do - "guess" at what is causing your back problems.

Good Luck - let us know how things work out for you?

(by the by - LOVE your handle!)
  • I think your should see your primary Dr and get an MRI. Especially before you start an excercise routine. The Dr may provide you with antiinflammatories and muscle relaxants first to rule out nerve or spine issues. The Dr also can tell certain things in a physcical exam also. So you're best bet is to see your Dr first. I've also seen some great videos on youtube about piriformis nerve and other conditions but know that this is not a medical answer as only a Dr. can truly help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the replies. I should note that I do not have insurance and finances will limit me from getting proper treatment right now. I do realize though that an MRI is certain though I have heard that some SI problems will not show up there. I am betting though that I have enough problem to show something on an MRI.

I have beeing poking around youtube for a while. Some good info on this stuff but I certainly understand that I have to take that stuff with a grain of salt.

I have never got that "instant" relief from a chiro like others have so that also makes me wonder about SI problems. I also have shoulder and ankle joint problems from loose ligaments and the joints get rather loose feeling. Not sure if that is relevant at all!!

This discussion has been closed.