Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 XLIF & L5/S1 Axialif Double Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I'd like to see if anyone on this site would have any information
in regard to a L4/L5 XLIF and a L5/S1 Axialif double fusion surgery. After 15 months of enduring the
pain associated with torn discs in these areas, leg numbness and my inability to hold
my 15 month old daughter anmung many other reasons, I think I have decided to undergo the surgery. The onset of my symptoms began 15 months ago 3 days after the birth of my daughter. I am a 35 year old who has undergone 5 injections, MRI's, CT's and a discograph. The diagnosis is Degenerative Disc Disease and torn annulus fibrous in these areas. The NS has recomended this type of surgery. Any thoughts
concerning these procedures. If you have had them done would you do it agian?
Recovery time? Any other advice? Any thing would be greatly appreciated!

• I had two torn discs and had surgery on 12-08. 2 level PLIF and discetomey. I dont know about your procedure, but I suffered for 2 1/2 years before they found the torn discs and DDD. I am six months out and doing ok. Have had lot of problems, not with the surgery, pnuemonia, knee problems and now tumor in bone behind eye that I will fo to Uof I on Thursday to a Head and Neck Surgeon. Anything I can help you with, pm me.
  • Hi and welcome! I have not had these particular procedure, but want you to know you are not alone! You will find the support you need here, along with many that have gone through some of the same things you have.

I wish you the best for a speedy and low pain recovery!

• Spinal fusion in November 2008. It was supposed to be PLIF, but they couldn't get my damaged discs out through the back. They placed the hardware, but I had to have an anterior procedure and fusion four days later. See my signature. I won't kid you -- it's a long slow crawl out of hell and you will most likely not be able to tote your toddler around again. There is relief to be had, though, and if you're not expecting immediate miracles, you can get through it.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • jharrison43jjharrison43 Posts: 13
    edited 08/18/2012 - 2:26 PM
    I would really check out get another opinion it never hurts I had like 5 opinions and still I wish I never had the surgery. I had 3 discs taken out and those discs are attached to different parts and functions of your body and had I known this I probably wouldn't have gone through with it because of all the noises and weird stuff happening with my internal functions, but I was at a point where the Insurance was really putting the screws to me time wise and were accusing me of delaying the time table which was not to far from the truth but still I had been just dropping to my knees all the time and losing the feeling in both legs major siatica and when my back seized it would get all twisted up so I was at a point when I had to make the decision or not I had a Surgeon that told me I would be at 85% which sounded really good but I jumped too quick I think because I have had nothing but problems with my digestive system and knock the breath out of you spikes of pain constantly when you don't think you can be in anymore pain boom there it is ten times more than you have gotten used too. I wish I could go back in time I would have let my back take the natural route and you know if it doesn't fuse by itself then maybe have the surgery but if I were you I would wait and maybe wait some more because you can't go back once it is done and let me tell you its been hell I hope you make the right choice for you its up to you not anybody else here I am just letting you in on what I experienced. It was a nightmare to say the least. On top of it I had the surgeon that did my surgery discharge me to a PM after 6 months I still don't understand that dicision to this day. I was under the empression you kept that Doctor for life. But I also asked why my procedure that I was told was going to take 5 hours took 8 hours still never got that question answered. He did state he had to wrench on my colon pretty hard to get everthing back into my body from the side where they entered with a machine. It has almost been 3 years and I am in more pain than I have ever been its really bad I am fighting to get injections that are needed just to cope with walking simple things and I am fighting an Insurance Company just to get one shot after waiting 2 years they are still denying me basic Pain Management injections. We are talking some people get 5-6 injections a year which I could use at least 3 of them a year. They don't want to pay the clinic costs for a floroscope machine needed to put the injection into a precise location. Its making me sick just talking about it how they can play with your life and they know nothing of what I am experiencing. Anyway sorry you need guidance and I would study up a bit more surgery isn't always the best answer let me know if you need some more info okay. PS hope I didn't depress you it wasn't my intention I just want to help you okay Respectfully J
  • J,

Just to let you know that this thread was started over 3 years ago. I doubt you will hear anything back, but it was interesting reading for me. Good luck on finding a solution to your issues.