Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help, I still have leg pain after surgery!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a laminectomy with fusion on May 29th. Leg pain had stopped right after surgery, but about three days ago pain is back in right hip and right leg. I went for 4 week checkup on June 29th and he did a CT scan and said there was a tiny piece of bone that had broke off from the bone graft and it appeared to be laying on a nerve. He wants to see how I do the next 2 weeks and said we could try surgery to remove that bone. He is not sure that this would help. This just does not make since to me. The pain does not feel like it is nerve pain like before the surgery, but more of a muscular ache. I feel that this is still from the recovery process, afterall my nerves were compressed for several years. Anyone else experience this type of pain?My Doc acts like at 4 weeks I should be pain free. I still have pain around the incision. I don't want another surgery. Any advice? I want my life back.

• Sorry to hear your hurting, I have been there so I really do feel for you.First of all give yourself a break, you just had a major surgery and should feel pain. I had 2--L5-S1 laminectomy in 1994 and went through the same as you are now, they had punctured my spinal cord w/needle so they glued it and closed leaving 5 pieces of disc fragments that were pressing on my nerves, I got uncontrolable migraines and I was in such horrid pain my surgeon said I would have to have another surgery or risk permanent nerve damange, I tried to find alt. solutions but the nerve damange was already done to the leg more months just to recoup and regroup; in short the second surgery was also a failure and again the pain was intolerable,I found a great DO wgi did a series of Prolotherapy Injections from neck to low back w/manuipulations, Matrix system,I did some form of PT 3xwk. for 7 years, yeah I know but I was literally bed ridden at 40 and knew I could not live that way; I went to lots of chrio's, acturepuncture, pool areobics, PT for back spine center for rest of body, not one but all of them and alot of meds got me through this, some of the leg pain went away but to this day is still swollen and in pain -I had a total knee replacemnt on it last year Advanced AO go figure now it's even bigger than before. I was told that during or after back surgery they fill you w/steriod injections and novicane th help deal w/initial pain which wears off in a few days and the pain returns! I just had a Therapeutic/Diagnostic Injection w/Fluoroscopy, they inject steriod
    medicine/novicane through a needle placed into a structure or space near the spine (C5-C7), it is supposed to reduce swelling and reduce pain for up to 3 months, I went thru hell for 3 days after and now all is back to normal, no relief what so ever. Keep asking for info and let me know what your going to do, I will keep you in my prayers

2-L5-S1 laminectomy :)))
    C5-C7,T1-T2, T2-T3, T7-T8, T8-T9, T11-T12, T12-L1 disc bulging Lg.anterior osteophytes at multi levels, neural foramin narrowing,
    Stroke, 8-TIA's Pulmonary Embolism, Total Knee Replacement to name a few,
    Keep on looking for information and don't stop until your satisfied you did all you could.
    Good Luck
  • Hello, I had laminectomy, decompression and 2 level PLIF of L4 L5 and S1 in Feb 09. About a week after surgery, here comes the foot pain back! It may or may not be permanent the doc said. I could have a test to find out but why bother. If its there, its there. At my 4 month check up I did have an xray and I am fusing so that is good news. Tried PT but had too many muscle spasms so tried hydrotherapy this week and I love it!! No pain in the pool. I am really feeling good around the house. If I go anywhere and do too much, I pay for it. My back feels like a toothache and lots of swelling. After 4 months though, I know what to expect and what I should do and not do. I hope this helps. I know it isnt exactly what you are facing. Good luck with everything. It does get better, or at least
    WE learn how to cope better.