Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second microdiscetomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had second microdiscetomy on June 5, 2009. This was the second surgery on L5 in 10 months. Originally, sciatica was excrutiating on the left side.

Now, since the second surgery, sciatica is starting on the right side. Pain is not bad and usually goes away once I get up and start going. Scared to death that right side is herniating. Post op visit with the doc this week.

Does anyone know if this could just be part of the healing process?

• you get additional pain after surgery just by virtue of the fact that they have been in there and disrupted the tissues. Do you ice often? I highly recommend it (though I am not a doctor). I find icing to be very beneficial. Walking will also help.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks Linda. I have noticed that ice does help. I started getting the pains after I started walking again (2-3 miles every few days). I haven't had any pain while I am walking. It usually comes the day after.
  • Since you mentioned walking, it may be that you are holding your posture differently to compensate for the post-surgical pain. Without realizing it, you may be favoring the left side, which automatically puts additional stress on the opposite side. If you had a massage therapist work on you, you would probably find that the muscles on the right side are all tensed and possibly even inflamed. This is quite common after surgery.

As you walk try to concentrate on maintaining a balanced posture. Try to keep your feet pointing straight forward and maybe shorten up your stride a little bit. When sitting, be sure you are sitting squarely on your bottom -- do not lean to one side or the other and do not cross one leg over the other. Forget about the lady-like training you received as a child...do not sit with one foot on the floor and the other crossed and resting on it. Keep both feet planted squarely on the floor. Believe it or not, this can make a BIG difference in your posture and whether or not you are twisting all the soft tissue along the spine.

Also, you might want to take several shorter walks rather than one long one. The important thing is to get the blood flowing and to stretch out those spinal muscles that were affected by the surgery. Distance is not important at this point.

Be sure to ask your surgeon about it though. He may have something wise to contribute!!