Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Quick question

doofddoof Posts: 131
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having a discectomy/lami/foramenectomy on 30th July at l5-s1. This will be my 3rd op in that area in 3 years. The last 2 were l4-5 and l5-s1 but to the right of the spine, this bulge is on the left.

The surgeon says that the bulge is too big for anything other than surgery - I've seen it on the mri, it's not pretty. I also suffer from stenosis, so I guess he will be poking around sorting that out too.

My question is, how many times can they/will they do the above procedures in the same area before they go for fusion?

I was hoping my trips to the operating table were over, I'm trying to remain optimistic but I'm sure you can all understand why my smile is begining to slip.

• ............... yes Mrs, once a spiney, always a spiney ........... love you loads

• did i even open my mouth!!!! lol

i know this is the second time you have posted this question doof so heres hoping you get an answer as i know you well enough to realise that this question must be bothering you.

LOVE P
  • My surgeon was willing to do a 4th discectomy at L4/5 even though the disc(and the one below) had collapsed. I had 3 pinched nerves affecting both legs. I got more opinions because the 3rd surgery failed. I was convinced that disc just didn't want to be there. My other opinions were pain pump,SCS,or fusion. I went for the permanent fix, I was so tired of the 10 year rollercoaster ride. I had L4-S1 fused 1 1/2 years ago and I no longer drag my leg like a dead log. It was the right decision for me. For many of us it seems discectomies were just temporary band aids to get us by until fusion. I wish you the best and hope you get LONG TERM relief from your upcoming surgery.
    Faith M
  • I know you are still in hospital as I write this and know it will be a while before you are ready to sit in front of a computer , but I just want to send my best wishes for a smooth recovery for what we all hope is your last procedure. I value our friendship so much, never thought it would be years long that we would know eachother, but glad you are one of the positives I have gained out of this spiney life !
    Take very good care of yourself and we will meet for a coffee in chat as soon as you are ready.

Best of Luck V xxx