Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tens unit

spars12sspars12 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
As one of the things tried for my back pain a tens unit was ordered.... i tryed it for long enough to know it did nouthing for me...

Yet again at the pain clinic they preached the injections pt (which failed numers times) and this tens unit ... has any one got any relief from the tens unit????..........
advertisement

Comments

• hi i'm pete...good to meet you. it never did anything for me. i even tried two at once!!! but some people swear by them....good luck, pete
  • spars12,
    I love my tens unit and use it every day. I would not be able to continue working without it. It does not eliminate pain, but kinda confuses the nerves (or blocks sending of the pain signals) so it is not the same or as bad. The relief is just enough to allow me to sit through the day and that makes it a winner.

I have done some experimentation on where to put the pads, which program to use and the intensity. Once I found the right combination it was immediately obvious. If you are able, do some experimentation it might make all the difference in the world.
    Jay

• Hi, I agree that it depends on the person using it. I have used my on and off for years now. And I love it for when my muscles are having fits. Jay 911 is right about trying different levels, and different placement of the pads. That's what nice about it you can play with it until you can find something that works for you.

But the again, it does depend on the person. So good luck, and hope you can find a way to make it work for you for some pain relief.

Good Luck,
    Deb
  • I love my tens unit for TEMPORARY relief of muscle spasms. It is definitely not a cure and won't help with constant pain. I use it when my muscles knot up after I've obviously done something to inflame them. If you've got major nerve pain, it's not really going to help you much.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I loved having the Physical Therapy's machines after my PT sessions. The home unit is not as good. I asked the therapist and he said that they run on different frequencies and so I'll never get as good of relief with the little battery powered home unit.

That said; my tens unit is what allows me sit long enough to go to church and it also disrupts the ache long enough for me to take in a movie at a theater. Any sitting longer than 30-40 minutes sets my whole back on fire. Before I got my own I was using my DH's, an older model - got to say, I like my new sleek one a lot better :)
  • spars12 said:
    As one of the things tried for my back pain a tens unit was ordered.... i tryed it for long enough to know it did nouthing for me...

Yet again at the pain clinic they preached the injections pt (which failed numers times) and this tens unit ... has any one got any relief from the tens unit????..........
    The Tens units do work for some and not for others. The best thing to do is like the rest are saying. Adjust the pads so that it gets where you feel it helps the best. Try not to turn it up to high in the beginning. As a few people learned with my tens unit that makes the muscle sore for a few days. Once you have in place do what I have been doing with my man, leave it on for an hour or longer if need be. It tends to work a little better too if you use heat or try ice.

I hope you find some relief with the tens unit.

Candy
advertisement