Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headaches

tammypttammyp Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all
I am about 12 weeks post TLIF and at 9 weeks i woke up one morning with a nasty headache.
It has been non stop for about 2 and half weeks and i am always nauseous.
I was wondering if a fluid leak could develop this late in the game?
Also should i go to my reg Dr or call my NS about it?
I am so worried that i made it through this major surgery and now i have a brain tumor or something.
Thanks
Tammy
advertisement

Comments

• Tammy: I'm not sure if someone responded then deleted their post or if no one responded and you are upset. ~X(

I'm sorry you are having these problems, but the best advise here, is if you are hurting, and you are unsure if it's normal, call your doctor. Nobody knows better than us how every little thing after back surgery will cause alarm bells to jingle insistently in our heads. I believe this is true any time someone finds out they are just as mortal as every one else.

I am a tremendous worrier, and have worn my surgeon down with my calls and "symptoms", but that does not mean I wouldn't call him the very next time I feel it necessary either.

Call your doctor, if only to have him tell you "everything's fine". If you are not satisfied, and it doesn't go away, CALL HIM AGAIN! If YOU think something is wrong, it will only hinder your recovery with the anxiety and worry.

Please, keep us posted, and take care of yourself!

>:D<
  • being so sensitive!
    I just dont seem to get much response here when i post and chat. Seems as though i'm invisible.
    I just wanted to see if nyone here has had a spinal fluid leak and knew if it was normal to develope one 8-9 weeks out?
    I will prob call NS tomorrow.
    Thanks for ur post at least i know you can see me.
  • no need to apologize! It's hard when you try to reach out only to find nobody is listening! I know I've been there many times, as well as everyone else. Sometimes posts slip off the first page so quickly, nobody that can help or respond even sees it! (well, I use recent posts only, so not sure if this applies for everyone) Also, sometimes, I will read a post only to find out that *gasp* I've got absolutely nothing to say... (yes, it CAN happen to this gabby-guss) I find if I can't say something that would mean something to the poster, or if I just don't have the inspiration, I would rather say nothing than "hey, I don't know".

If you don't get a response, try not to take it personally, it definitely doesn't mean nobody wants to help. You can always answer your own posts with things like "nobody?" and "please, I would really like some kind of response" or even "HEY! AM I INVISIBLE???"

Everybody here is in practically the same boat, and we definitely care, and are in no way ignoring you! I hope this helps!

>:D<
  • Hi Tammy,
    I'm sorry that you are feeling ignored. Please don't take it personally... One thing I know is the subject line with valid info really helps. There are so many posts to read, that I know I only read ones that may be related to my lumbar condition.

Please call your Dr. It is OK to be a pest, though you aren't. Sometimes they just make us feel that way.

Have a happy 4th - feel better soon!
  • Tammy,

It is possible that the headache could be related to your surgery, but it is just as possible that it is not. I would get to your doc ASAP - let them take a look at you and run a few basic tests to determine what might be the cause. Who ever you can get to first NS or reg doc - even an ER visit would be justified. Best of luckto you with your recovery - I will be in the Fusion recovery phase in about 6 weeks.

All the best, Mike
  • hi Tammy, we certainly didn't mean to ignore you. Just noticed your post (it's the 4th of July & I've been outside) & wanted to ask if you'd checked w/ your doc yet?
    I had my post-surg spinal leak start a week after my initial lammy & I've heard of them happening later than that. Friend of mine had one 2 months out.

The worrysome symptom is the nauseau part. We all get headaches, but a spinal leak produces a headache that includes almost constant nausea when you are not lying down. In fact, it's the "positional" nature of the headache that is the hallmark feature. If you lie down, it gets a little better. When you are not lying down, you are sick. (Not to mention the pain, which is off the chart.)

Please, if you already haven't, call your doc. Maybe it's "just" a headache. But 2 weeks is a long time & if you are leaking spinal fluid, that is a serious thing. (See my signature...)

Let us know how you are!

~Lakeside

advertisement