Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Father has Cervical Myelopathy : Seeking Surgery help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My father was diagnosed with Cervical Myelopathy, having
2 fractures and 2 ruptures in the neck portion of the spine.

He first started feeling a cold, chilly sensation in one of his legs that progressively got worse. Over the course of about 3 weeks it spread to the other legs and to his hands. He has also had a benign tumor in the lower portion of the back for a few years. Doctors determined this was not the cause of his symptoms. They have prescribed some steroid anti-inflammatory drug that has had no noticeable effect.

We are not sure if he should have fusion surgery. Is it possible for these effects to subside? Is surgery the best option? How important is the experience level of the surgeon for this particular operation?

We are very worried for his health. Please help.

• Hi Jami,

First off, I am NOT a doctor so anything I tell you is from my personal experience only. You need to follow the advise of your fathers medical professionals.

If you research this site you'll learn that myelopathy is damage to the spinal cord and that the only treatment is decompression, ie: surgery. Depending on the severity of the encroachment and symptoms this can be an emergency as some spinal cord damage can be irreversible. It's nothing to be taken lightly. When I was diagnosed with cervical myelopathy I was in surgery a week later- and that was too late for my surgeon.

If you aren't comfortable with the choice in surgeons find another- fast. Experience is important and it's much better, again in my opinion, to have this surgery done by a neurosurgeon rather than an orthopedic surgeon.

I'm sure others will chime in on this subject as well. There are many of us here with myelopathy that have been through surgery and had the progression stopped. There is no guarantee that the existing symptoms will go away but decompression will halt further damage.

All the best to your father and you. Please let us know what happens.