Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My neck diagnosis

Carrie.0510CCarrie.0510 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my Dr. appointment earlier this week with a neurologist. She reviewed my MRI report with me and it showed that I have 2 bulging/herniated discs in my neck. They are at c4-5 and c-5-6, with the worst one being at c4-5. Apparently they are pushing on nerves that is causing my pain and numbness. This is what is causing my headaches as well. She told me that with rest and other treatments that they could heal on their own. She did give me some different medication and one of those soft foam neck braces. Later today, I have an appointment to be fitted for a special type of neck brace(not really excited about it.) She is also going to send me back to therapy for traction treament and some other "passive" treaments. She was optimistic that I could recover without surgery, but, that if I am not improving over the next 3-4 weeks then she would have me see a neurosurgeon. I did let her know about my concern for missing a lot of work(I have not worked this week) and that she felt that with the special neck brace I should be able to go back to work and not be in the pain that I have been in. I hope so! What is baffling to me is that I have not had an accident or injury that would have caused this. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions, I would really appreciate it, this web-site has been a big help to me. Thank you, Carrie p.s. I will post an update after I get my new brace, I'm a little nervous about it, not sure what to expect, thanks again, Carrie

• I'm also a neckie, so welcome to the neckie club. I know it can be confusing as to how you ended up with such bad discs in your neck when you've had no accident or injury. I didn't have anything that happened right before my issues either, but my docs and I decided that it probably all started when I had a very bad accident over 25 years ago. During that accident, I probably injured one of my discs and the pressure that was put on the other discs took its toll through the years until it all culminated into major issues all this time later.

I hope that the noninvasive measures help you. Traction helped me at first, so hopefully it will help you.

I'll be interested to hear about the special neck brace you're getting.

Take care and feel free to PM if you have questions or just need to talk.
  • Hi Cath, Thanks for sharing your info with me, it helps to hear from others that have had a similar problem. I did get my neck brace this afternoon, it is adjustable and velcros together in 2 pieces. This is an incredibly weird feeling! I hope this thing helps! I'll let you know if I have any questions, thanks for your concern, Carrie
  • Hi Carrie,

I can relate to your confusion at suddenly having your neck go bad on you without any apparent reason. I woke up with my neck hurting one day and within a few days it had moved down into my shoulder and arm. There was nothing I knew of that would have caused the problem but on looking back over the years I am wondering if an accident here and there didn't predispose me to later degeneration in my neck.

Let us know how conservative treatment works for you and whether you end up seeing a neurosurgeon. We'll be here to support you through this adventure. :) >:D<

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Inchworm:

I am new and I am trying to find out information on Facet Joint Injections. Have you had any injections in your neck and if so were the successful. Also what should I expect pain wise. I am scared.
  • Please see my PM to you.
  • I've had two epidural steroid injections in my neck which were not successful in relieving my pain but they were not particularly painful procedures, if that's what you are meaning. ESI's are done from the front of the neck and I imagine facet injections are done from the back, but I don't know that for sure. In any case, procedures that sound scarey are most often not bad at all these days. If there's a potential for it to be psychologically disturbing or painful you would probably be given a sedative.

You've posted your question in another person's thread and that will make it much harder for other spineys to find and answer so I suggest you post a new question in one of the other forums. Make the subject line pertinent to your question and you will get responses from people who have had facet injections and can answer your questions much better than I can! :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Today is my first full day wearing my neck brace (aspen vista collar) and I am doing ok painwise. I think it may help. I am going back to work on Monday so hopefully I will be ok. The neck brace is a very, very weird feeling! Thanks for all of the encouragement and support. I may post a question regarding how to get used to this brace later...thanks again, Carrie
  • I didn't have much problem getting used to the neck brace, but then my situation was much different. I wore mine for a month starting right after surgery and I was very glad to have it because it helped support my head and protected my neck. It was a relief to have it since I'd had major neck surgery.

I know it's different for you because it purpose is to help you heal. I doubt there's any comfort for you at all in having to wear it, other than hoping it helps to keep you from having surgery.

Good luck to you and let us know how PT goes.
  • Thanks for your kind words Cath! This is all very scary and aggravating. I've never had to deal with anything like this before. I am going to follow my Dr.'s instructions with the neck brace and therapy. From what I have read, neck surgery sounds really rough. I am going to go back to work on Monday. I'll let you know how things are going. Take care, Carrie
  • hi carrie, I would also take up aqua therapy if you can. I feel better in the water. all I do is get the water up to my chin and move neck left to right and up and down. and I do arm exercises under the water with those long foam noodles. It helps the muscles around the neck.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I really hope your brace and therapy works out for you. No one wants to have surgery or be in pain. Good luck and keep us updated. :)