Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain relief?

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there.

I saw my surgeon's PA yesterday and apparently the facet joints at L4/5 are swollen and inflamed which is causing my lower back pain and the disk is bulging and impinging on a nerve which is causing my sciatica.

I'm on a medrol pack for the next five days and next week I'll get an ESI and facet injection, both at the same time.

Does anyone have experience with these? Have you had them both done together? Did you get any relief and if so, for how long?

Please let me know your experience. I'm not too worried, but would like to hear your story.

• Hiya Cath! I've had multiple of both of those done, not at the same time though.

I don't think the ESI is designed to help with back pain. The facet injections are another story. They should help with back pain and not have much affect on sciatica.

My first ESI worked -- for 8 months! It did nothing for back pain, but did help with the sciatica in my leg. Other than that nothing worked for me. The procedures themselves were no big deal. I did have them give me a mild sedative for each procedure, and each only took about 10 or 15 minutes.

Good luck, I really hope they help you!!
  • Yeah, the PA said the ESI is to help with the sciatica and the facet injection is for the back pain.

Wow, 8 months? That's awesome. I hope I'm that lucky. My PA said that I would be sedated and that they won't release me unless I had someone with me to drive me home.

You remember that gal in Colo who owned the furniture store? She died after an ESI, didn't she? That's the only thing that kinda freaks me out. LOL

Thanks again, Jay-buddy.
  • I've had 5 ESIs and although they didn't help with the nerve pain, they didn't kill me (LOL) nor did they hurt. Well, one of them was a little painful, but not bad. I hope you're one of the 75% who gets relief!
  • Thanks Nancy. Turns out that in order to stay with the medical group that helped me with my cervical issues, I'll have to wait until August 6. I really like them so I'll just have to wait.

PS I'm glad they didn't kill you. :-)
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope the injections help you. I'm just sorry you have to wait so long to get them. That'll give you more time to worry about it! At least I know I would. I've never had any either, so I'd be chicken. Take care,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I've had about 6 Lumbar ESI's, none which really helped. (But I did have some luck with my Thoracic and Cervical ESIs)
    Facet injections helped more in the lumbar area, but what really helped me the most was trigger point injections. I just needed something to calm things down so they would take care of themselves.
    Trigger points did that for me
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com