Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Cost

asmithaasmith Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Pain Management
I finally have my first appt set for my trial. However, they brought it to my attention that my insurance may not even cover the scs. Shouldnt they have mentioned this to me before leading me down this path A YEAR ago?

I have medicare as my primary and BCBS as my secondary. They said they dont have to get approval from Medicare, and Medicare covers 80%, however they do have to get approval from BCBS.

I called BCBS yesterday and they said that if its deemed investigatory or experimental they will not cover it. Is the SCS considered that?

I am so bummed that I have finally come to terms with getting this done and now the insurance may come in the way. I am in no position whatsoever to pay for this.

Being its a holiday weekend I am not able to get the proper code from the doctor office for the SCS for the insurance company to get the proper answer. I have to wait until Monday.

So I thought maybe I can get some answers on here until then. Thanks everyone.
Until then, hope everyone is able to enjoy their holiday weekend!!

Take Care.

• i have medicare and bcbs. they will pay for my scs which has been around for 30 years. i don't think youll have trouble. why not give another call maybe the 2nd rep will tell you yes. if so get confirmation no.
  • My BCBS insurance will cover SCS too, but the medical diagnosis codes need to be the right ones (e.g., radiculopathy, arachnoiditis). Some uses (but not all) are considered experimental, so it's important to use the right codes. Sometimes insurance companies have their medical coverage policies online and you should be able to ask for them, too.
  • I have BC/BS as my primary insurance and they are covering my nerve stimulator, however, they require a psychological evaluation first. From what I understand,this is a requirement of most insurance co's.
  • have BCBS and they covered both the trial and permanent placement, no problem. I did have to have the psych evaluation, but my doctor required that before insurance did.

P.S. This technology has honestly been here since the 60's - not experimental at all.