Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSDI paperwork

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Health Insurance Issues
So I got a packet of paperwork to fill out about what I do from the time I wake up until I go to bed, and all kinds of other things. I'm finding it very hard to fill out. I've had it for two weeks now, and am nowhere close to having it complete. For one, I can't sit and write for a long period of time. And secondly, I just can't seem to answer some of the questions. I can't say what I do from the time I wake up because it depends on the day. Every time I start answering a question I get off the subject it seems. I'm just so confused and so overwhelmed.

Plus my mom got the same paperwork to fill out because i listed her as knowing the most about my situation. She doesn't know what I do day to day because she doesn't live with me. I'm afraid she wont' get the paperwork done either.

On the plus side, I did find out that all this time I've had a disability income insurance on myself. It's for $500/month after the first month. Now I have to wait on my doctor to fill out the paperwork which is taking forever. But after looking through it, I think I had to be working full-time before my disability to be approved for it.

• when you fill out your paperwork, you should probably mention that you have trouble thinking and sitting and writing things down. Also that you are confused and overwhelmed - those are all significant problems. I think you will find a place in the paperwork to get those things in. I had to have my neighbor help me fill my paperwork out. I just told the truth. I said I prepared instant oatmeal and washed out the dish every morning. I didn't do much and didn't have much to put down as to how I spent my day. There wasn't a lot to put down because I felt so badly I didn't do much either.
    You might be like me and need help. Good luck, susie
  • I was grilled over the phone from my work's disability insurance. I told them I make coffee in the morning but have to take my meds because it takes over an hour for me to get out of bed and I do eat a package of oatmeal also like Susie had stated. I don't do laundry and all the cleaning I can do is dust with a feather duster and the electric bissell mostly while sitting or laying down often. I told them I awake every 3 hours at night in pain and even scream out at times. I have my husband haul me out of the bed every day and taking a shower is so exhausting because of the weakness and pain and had a shower bar installed for fear of falling. I can't even stand for 3 minutes or walk 50 feet without resting and I use a cane for stability because of weakness and pain in my leg and foot. The meds make it hard to remember things and I can't even bend over to get the food from the oven because the meds make me so dizzy I felt I was going to fall in and burn myself. So my husband does everything for me cook, laundry,shop. If you can't cook try to get meals on heels to bring meals to you and let the insurance know you can't cook for yourself especially if you have noone to help you. I repeated the question she asked because of my inability o remember things especially because I can't get a good slep at night. I'm so exhausted from the meds alone. I can't so PT because it was so painful and even accupunture didn't work for the pain and traction made the pain worse. I can't drive taking meds. Anyway I know there is a member here who used to work for diability and maybe you can get some info from them just look up ssdi or disability in the blue search box above. Good luck Amanda and maybe retain a lawyer for help with SSDI. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • do stress how you do minimal work...there's no way for me to do much and I put how often I have to sit down or lay down thruout the day to change positions. They also need to know about your emotional state of health. From what I've heard is that they really look at mental disorders. I don't have anything, but anxiety and depression from all my problems...but please list them. Nothing is too small to list. Blessings to you.
  • The only thing I guess I really worried about is that they will think I'm not taking care of my kids properly. In all honesty I depend on my 8 year old daughter to do alot of things I should be doing. She does the laundry, she does dishes she picks up the hosue, and even changes diapers somedays. I have to take her to the store with me because I can't bend over. I want to tell the truth, I just dont' want to look like a horrible mother too.
  • can you stress how much your husband has to do for you?? that's what i said and it was the truth...is the truth...my husband is so wonderful but I feel so bad for him. Once I start getting my SSD, I am going to create a chore list and weekly allowance as well for my 5 kids. I know how you feel...its scary to think someone would think you couldn't care for your own. But, I'd sacrifice all this pain and get hurt if I needed to protect them. I'm thankful they are all 6 and above now and can bathe themselves with just a little assistance from me. They get dressed and can get a snack/water by themsselves. Sounds like you have one in diapers and I know that must be so rough. God bless you! And stress how long it took for you to fill out the paperwork as well.
  • I actually have two in diapers. My five year old is Autistic, and needs about as much help as a 2 year old most days, then I have a three year old. I need to be potty training, but I can't do it. I just feel like I'm falling apart, inside and out!

My doctor called me this morning to come in and help her fill out all my paperwork. It was horrible. I had to call my husband while I was still in the waiting room to come get the kids on his lunch break. But I did get my disabiliy income paperwork filled out and turned into my insurance office. I got this on my own about five years ago from State Farm. I pay like $7/month. I talked to my agent and he said it was no problem that I only worked part time. As long as I cannot do my regular work I did before, I will get that money. $500/month right now will be huge!!

And tonight I'm gonna sit down with my husband and have him help me answer the SSDI questions. I figure that I shouldn't stress about answering them perfectly, heck that may even count in my favor if I sound like a complete spaz right?
  • God bless you...I know you have your hands full. My hubby and I have two autistic boys and one little girl with developmental delays...she's undiagnosed, except with ADHD, but is having genetic testing this week.

Blessings to you