Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got a date for SSI ALJ Hearing. Nervous.

JEMJJEM Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Health Insurance Issues
It's finally scheduled for July 30th. My lawyer told me that he thinks I have "A good case. Not a slam dunk, but a good case." Needless to say, I'm VERY nervous. There's so much riding on this. Mine is a duel-disability. Physical and emotional. I would greatly appreciate any advice and opinions if you think I'll be approved or denied. Thanks.

My physical problems:
Fibromyalgia. Pain everywhere, to the point where I often can't walk.
Recent cervical MRIs stated a lot, but I think what hurts the most is the "severe spinal stenosis" at C5/C6, C6/C7, as well as moderate and mild stenosis on other levels. It stated spinal cord being deformed. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon in September. I've never had surgery.
I have no body strength whatsoever.
Osteoarthritis. Knees throb bad.

Emotional Issues:
PTSD. I lost my family. My parents died two months apart in 2002, and my sister the following year. I was 44. My doctor thinks this triggered the fibro.
Anxiety. I've been taking medication for it since 2002.
Depression. I cry easily and often. All I have to look forward to every day is severe pain. It never takes a day off, ever.
Concentration and memory issues. I often forget the topic in the middle of a conversation. This is due to my meds and fibro fog.

I think that's it, but with me, you never know.

• That's great about your hearing date! This is a chance for someone to actually SEE you and how your impairments affect you on a day to day basis.

First off - don't be nervous. It's very informal... just you, the judge and your attorney. Oh, and a court recorder (so what transpires can be forever saved by print) You don't have to dress up, but wear something you would wear, say, to church. Blue jeans are okay as long as they don't have holes in them...

As I said - it's just the 4 of you. No cameras or jury or audience. This way, you can relax (who can relax when going before a judge?) as much as possible and be your honest self.

If there is anything you want to be sure is discussed during this process, write it down. When you and your attorney have what is known as "the hearing prep" be sure to convey to your attorney you want this addressed.

It should take about 6 - 8 weeks after your hearing before you get the final decision.

Good luck!
  • Blessings to you! I would be nervous too...heed Jeux's advice...she has so much knowledge. I pray the judge sees your situation and doesn't question this decision...that his eyes are fully opened and you have favor with the judge. Blessings!
  • I was approved this week. I waited exactly five weeks. The Judge ruled that I was disabled by Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis of the cervical spine, depression and anxiety. I'm glad it's over. I just wish this pain would end too.
  • I am so happy that it went well for you. I have my hearing October 18 and am also very nervous. Could you tell us some of the questions that you were asked by the judge?
    Thank you.
  • October 18 is a SUNDAY.

Are you sure your hearing is not SEPTEMBER 18? Or OCTOBER 19?

Wouldn't want you to miss it!
  • You are right! It is Oct 19 at 9am. See how discombobulated I am?
  • No harm, no foul. Glad it's straightened out!
  • JEM, I am so happy for you that you were approved.
    You sounded so miserable. I hope this takes a little
    of the burden off of you. I'm really happy for you.