Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg shaving

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone have suggestions on how my wife might shave her legs? I don't trust myself enough to do it for her..... Anyway, it's starting to bug her. Thanks for your help!

• My suggestion would be take her to a waxing spa. Any female friends or daughter/daughter-in-law. Maybe one of them could come help her to shave or wax her legs. You could also go buy Veet or similar where there is no shaving with a razor blade just a plastic razor. Those are the only things I can think of right now. I hope this helps you.

Good luck and speedy recovery.

• I wouldn't send her to a waxing place right now - they might me her get into uncomfortable positions/tables etc. Unless you've been there, done that, others don't realize the limitations of mobility. Don't do the depilatory - some people react badly to those and they smell terrible. Best thing - just get a double edge plastic disposable like Gillette custom plus or Daisy and DIY - start with a flat part of the legs first, just be careful around the knees and back of the ankles, that's where most nicks happen. You can do it!
  • I used VEET spray and it worked quite well! the kind you spray on and shower off....i had to do something and this worked.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    C'mon jran0880, buck up and shave the wifes legs for her. Use a new razor blade, lots of shaving cream and have at it. It's such a small chore but it is a
    big thing for your wife. I even bet you will get an "atta boy" for your effort!
  • Just a suggestion but what about a Ladyshave, they can run on batteries so if you wife is comfortable you could make her legs "silky-smooth".You are a lovely husband to try to help her feel better, another opportunity to feel useful and maybe have a giggle at the same time. My husband has been so good with helping me to achieve personal care, it has been a lesson for me but our relationship has grown because of it. Good Luck -Hugs n' Loves -Paula
  • has helped me with leg shaving for three years. Finally broke down and got cordless electric one. He feels more at ease and is easier to do so it gets done alot more often.
  • I am 4 months post op from a 2 level PLIF L4 L5 & S1. I still cant bend but NAIR saves the day! You can get the spray on, shower off for a little bit more but even the regular works fine!! The spray works better...good luck
  • Trying to stand and shave is still a challenge, so I just sit down and shave. Saves me from bending.
  • Go buy a men's remmington electric shaver w/3 heads which is recommended by women too...I researched it and then had my husband get one, works good and saves your wife from any bending or twisting if she lies on the bed while you shave her legs...you can not hurt her this way. It will help you and your wife solve this problem and she will love you for it!

Don't let your wife go for a wax because she would need to get on the table and twist her legs this way and that and it hurts some people when they rip the tape off. That didn't hurt me as with my nerves I didn't even feel the heat or pulling. but the positions and getting off/on the table hurt me. Before fusion I had my legs waxed several times but several times I came out in more pain than it was worth so I had to stop.

If your wife is on bending, twisting restrictions because of surgery or pain don't let her use the spray on/off by herself....she will still need your help. We tried the spray ons and my husband hates the smell although they work ok. Then he tried shaving my legs w/razer in shower which works but kills his back, he tried it w/me on bed but too but alot of work. The electric razer is easier for him! He's been using it 8 mo. now. and offers before I ask so we're both happy!

Good luck! Whatever you do, your wife will love you for it!

• ...granddaughter does mine w/ an electric shaver..she can bend over & gets those places like behind the knees & around the ankles I just CAN'T bend to reach..thinks it's fun & makes charming comments like: "Wow! This one must be 2" long!" She's very impressed & I'm very grateful. so any help you can get, take it!

I agree w/ the others: skip prof waxing (too much BLT-ing) & use either Neet-type stuff or an electric shaver or a REALLY GOOD 3-4 head reg shaver & lots of lather, but that can still cause nicks, etc. Electric is goof-proof for now.

If you want to use my granddaughters' expertise, PM me, LOL! :)