Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New symptom caused by neck?

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Good evening all. Hope you had/having a great 4th of July! This morning when I got up, I couldn't straighten out my left arm. Hurts in the elbow join, about 3 inches above and below it, the whole area. I thought I had slept on it wrong, so didn't think much about it. I did the laying by the pool thing today, with very light swimming hoping to loosen it up. After a shower (I know too much info :))( ) and a 2 hour nap :D it still hurts. Think this could be from my neck issues? (See info below) With severe left foraminal stenosis, bulging disc, etc. all kinds of aches & pains come and go, but this one has stayed. If anyone else has experienced this, I would like to hear about it.

• Sorry to hear about your pain today. I can relate to it all. I would suggest a pool to get threw the major pain. My doctor just told me to keep getting in and it will improve. just had a laminectomy at C3. Its helping some. The first few times I didn't see much of a change. Are you or can you take anti inflammatories? Its possible you have a inflammed joint in your elbow too. The pain associated with my neck problems was down my whole arm, so I am not for sure its your neck causing this. when you in the pool move the painful elbow as much as u can under the water. Fluid floats so it should allow u to flex it under the water with very little pain. applying heat and alternating with ice the first few days helps too. Good luck hun.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hi Maggie:

I had pretty severe left arm pain for almost 2 1/2 years. At first I thought I needed elbow replacement. They did MRI's, X-Rays, nerve conduction tests. No problems with my elbow. Finally, they did find it was coming from my neck (c-5 thru c-6 especially). I had bulging discs, bone spurs, and a spinal canal that is much more narrow than the average.

I ended up having a 4 level laminectomy. I still have the symptoms. My doctors say nerve root damage can take up to a year to heal. It could also be permanent. What my surgery did was prevent further damage.

I cannot say this is a solution to your symptoms or situation. I'm just sharing my experience.

Ken GreyEagle
  • Thank you for your comments. It is still hurting this morning. Will do some pool therapy again this afternoon. Only slept 3 1/2hrs last night because of the pain. Oh well, life goes on.

• I also had the pain that you're describing before my surgery. Because I was so ignorant about what symptoms cervical disc issues can create, I thought it was tennis elbow. But, it was gone immediately after my surgery.

What I did to help it was put ice on the elbow area and wear one of those tennis-elbow wraps just below the elbow. These things helped, but I could never get it to go away for very long. The ice really helped the most.