Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sorry for being a moron...

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Chronic Pain
I am truly lucky to be able to still be working, although every day I wonder how I can make it through the day. The next day I go back to work wondering the same thing. And so it goes, day after day.

A couple weeks ago management decided that a team building event was in order and were very secretive about what the event actually consisted of. When I was handed the "release" that I had to sign, it had a portion to the effect of "I am physically able to complete the activity." I asked my boss about that he he said I'd have no problem. Stupid me, I believed him and signed. Long story short (yeah I know, too late), the event consisted of a lot of walking and I have not been the same since. Because of new upper back & neck pain as well as a sharp increase in lower back pain, I had to call my doctor who immediately increased my Valium dose from 10mg once per day to 10 mg 4 times per day. Now I am a zombie. With more pain. And dizziness and lack of concentration.

So, if you don't see me post much or if I seem to not make a lot of sense don't think anything of it, I'm just brain dead. Please still send pictures to me if you're wanting help posting them!!

Thanks to everyone at Spine-Health for your support, it means more to me than you will ever imagine.

• I was pulled out of a presale meeting where had all the advisors that were to recommend a supplier and a State Minister ordered her personal advisor to attend (we were the only player to get in that position and project would have funded company for 2 years and) Because the HR Consultant Board member was being flow in from overseas to run the team building we were ordered to walk out half way through presentation to attend the team building exercise. A few months later I stated not happy and would look for position in another division so was dismissed within an hour. Six months later that the division closed (and many lost their jobs). Incidentally they lost the job!

Recently another company asked me to go on team building but did not tell us what it involved (big secret). Rang up that morning due to pain and said will not be there and just went to office. In Europe they often conduct independent work place assessment and had advice needed chair with higher then normal lumbar support and that was recorded. For missing the team event I was called in and threatened with notes in personnel record so went into attack stating that have had work place assessment that has not been complied with and he had done nothing to get proper chair (and a few other things). Also stated that if there was any entry would lodge a formal complaint against him personally for not rectifying the workplace environment. The guess was that number of people attending team building was a numbers game and lower numbers may have impacted his performance review (or a senior manager’s pool).

Think there is enough people out there to start a "We Hate Team Building" but if search there probably is one. The Boss has done a disservice as is no longer trusted and has resulted lost productivity so it is a case of everyone loses!

In any case things settled down politically at work. I can only hope that your physical pain does as well.

Kind Regards
  • :H Sorry to hear you were put in a position of doing a team building exercise that just made your pain worse. ~X( I know you hate taking drugs that put you in "La La" land but have no choice or else you're in miserable pain.

I know that I felt I had to pretend I was normal and not in pain at my last job and it just made matters worse. I was working on a 1400 room new hotel and in charge of all the furnishings. Talk about a lot of walking and walking on a job site on uneven ground. Ugh! I felt 85 years old at the end of the day.

Here's hoping a little rest will put you back together. :)

Take care Jay and sending healing and comforting thoughts you way.

• Grrrr.... I am growling at your boss!

Jay... your BOSS is a moron, not you. Your boss is most certainly aware of your chronic pain... right? He is not a doctor and for him to tell you that you would have "no problem" is ignorant and inconsiderate. There are bosses out there who would have considered your question a very valid one and handled this more appropriately.

I am very sorry this happened to you. Sure hate to hear you are in a zombie state and have more pain.

Just out of curiosity, has your boss apologized to you?

Take it easy and best wishes to you, Jay.

• Seriously? :/ YOU aren't the moron, HE is. I think one of the biggest problems is that "others" don't realize how much it takes from people in pain to even just stand, let alone walk... ~X( I hope you let him know how it affects you, so he won't be so clueless next time! :??

Here's to a well-deserved rest! =D>

Q: A big moron and a little moron are walking across a bridge when the big moron falls off. Why didn't the little moron fall off?
    A: He was a little more on.
  • I'm so sorry to hear that you are in such a state after that. I hope that you feel better quickly!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hi buddy.

I'd venture to say that each one of us has called ourselves a moron at one time or another. (Actually, I think I posted that I'm an idiot, not a moron, but I think they're pretty equal.)

We've talked about this before and you know how I feel, but I just wanted to tell you that I hope you get to feeling better and it's ok to take more meds while you're hurting so much. Chalk it up to learning, I guess. Like learning that you're boss is an ignorant idiot.

Hey, I have an idea...remember your doc said that he couldn't do anything for you until "something" changed? Could this be it?

Take care buddy. I'm sending a big Colorado hug.

• Its your boss who is the moron, not you. Its hard staying on a job while you are in chronic pain, and then for him to put you in such a spot is not fair. But, as we all know, they do not know our pain and how easy it is for us to end up in a flare.

I hope you feel better soon..........

• Thanks for the replies everyone! I have to agree that my supervisor is definitely the moron here. I am also the moron for a few reasons. First I signed the release believing what my super told me. Second, I continued to participate. Third, I'm now taking enough Valium to kill a water buffalo and make my brain move into the "moron" category -- so I am truly right now a moron.

That being said, I had a good long talk with my manager (next step up in the corporate food chain) who told me that he was shocked that I participated and he had no intention for me to participate. He said that he told my supervisor the same thing before the event and asked me if this was even brought up. When I said no (even when I specifically asked about the "physically able" part), he was more than just a little agitated. It will be interesting to see what happens. Never did receive an apology, not even disguised in another statement.

I've been in a management position and will say that building up our team is not going to make an improvement. Our group already makes a good team. There are so many other broken things that need attention it is not even funny. Respect is a hard thing to earn and an easy thing to lose, they need to work at building up that respect again, they lost it a long time ago. I'm just waiting to hear someone ask why my performance is suffering. That conversation is NOT going to go the direction they anticipate. If there's one thing I learned when working 911, it's how to drive a conversation in the direction I want. I won't wait long for it to come up, I'll be "dropping the hammer" on management soon.
  • No matter what you may feel about participating when you knew you shouldn't, you're NOT a moron! [(

Will be thinking about you and rooting for you to come out of this with better understanding from management. And I hope you're soon feeling better! >:D<

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I'm on your side my dear. I will keep you in my prayers. Here's wishing you a painfree life.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
This discussion has been closed.