Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware out ...10% of the time...

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, it looks like I might have to have my hardware out this fall.

I've pretty much had a constant backache since my surgery. I figured it was what I was supposed to feel, I'd had back surgery for heavens sake! I never thought I'd heal and be at a zero pain level ever again. I expected that.

But,there may be hope!

My NS's Physician's Assistant says that in 10% of the cases the hardware needs to come out. He had warned me last February that I should consider it. Now I have a NS appointment coming up in August to confirm it.

Just FYI -

Symptoms that make us suspect that it is the hardware and that the removal will actually benefit me and not be a useless surgery:

You can push on my back and feel the screws - it is DEEPLY painful to the touch and it affects my legs when you do it.

I feel the grinding of muscles in my back when I do my PT exercises, particularly the recumbant bike, leg presses, anything where my back is against hard plastic as I move my legs.

I feel like I have to hold the side muslces in my back so that they don't move when I walk. I can't touch the center of the spine, anywhere near the scar, that's too painful.

The asst. gave me Valtoren Gel - an anti-inflammatory, I think - and it has reduced the overall pain. It has allowed me to feel the exact points of the worst pain though - which is right over the screws.

So.. we shall see what we see when we see (I'll update after the next apt.)

• Wow Saltz, 10% sounds high for hardware removal.

Sorry you are needing to get yours out. That doesn't sound fun at all. Hopefully it will help you. keep up your good attitude!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!