Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Radiofrequency Rhizotomy Treatment

LittlesurferLLittlesurfer Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Chronic Pain
Does anyone have any information on Radiofrequency Rhizotommy treatments. I recently had the trial for a peripheral nerve field stimulator and it was a failure. My pain management dr has now recommended radiofrequency treatments before moving on to a different kind of nerve stimulator.

• Where is your area to be treated - from my experience, i needed to go thru diagnostic injections, prior to the nerve treatment.

let us know what has been the problem and where.

• My pain is in the sacrum/coccyx area. Had a coccygectomy 12/07 which resulted in worse pain. Have had seven injections under x-ray guidance, with no relief, but was a good diagnostic tool, which did show where my pain was originating. Have had physical therapy, tried a tens machine, which did absolutely nothing for my pain, and last Wednesday had a PNFS trial. The rep gave me a lot of programs, but absolutely no relief. The stimulator actually has made my pain worse. After 2 days, my dr pulled the lead. I also developed a horrible rash all over my body after taking only 4 antibiotic pills.(I looked like a lobster) I have a lot of allergies to different medications, but this one I had taken in the past. The dr looked at the rash and said it was a reaction to antibiotics and told me to stop taking them. Someone had suggested a sacral nerve stimulator as the next thing to try, but my pain management dr wants to try radiofrequency rhiztomy first.
  • I had a RFA done in both side of my lower back in January 2008,it did work for my nerve pain,i was sedated when i had it done,also my doctor gave me extra pain pills,because the nerves were quite painful for about 4 weeks,then the nerves settle down.....
  • I have had severe back pain for the past 5 years. The muscle spasms were relentless. I have had rf done 5 times and it did not work for me. The relief I felt was short-lived in relation to the pain after the procedure (2-3 months). I am in the process of peripheral nerve stimulator and it seems to be working for me. I have had sooooooooo many types of procedures done. I feel like I may have finally found something that works for me. I have detailed many of my tests, procedures, and outcomes on my blog at EDITED. I hope this works for you, as it does for many people.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla

• I had 5 levels(Lumber) done 2 days ago with out sedation. They probe around and when the Dr thinks the needle is in the right spot they will send a electrical impulse through the special needle and ask you were on your body you felt it. They use some type of local that is injected in each area to lessen the pain....Ya right. The Dr said 5 levels is the most he will do at one time.
    I had several MBB injections for diagnostic tesing before the RF procedure.
    I increased my break through meds and went back to work the next day.It will take a couple of weeks to find out if the procedure was a success. It was painful like most of the injections but what else can you do.
  • tb7108, please let me know what you progress is with the recent RF. My pain management dr hasn't called yet to schedule my appt for this procedure and I've never had it done before. I know about the pain...the last injections I had were very painful and I don't look forward to that pain again, especially since the injections didn't relieve any of my pain. Hope it gives you some relief.
  • Thanks Little Surfer...
    I feel better today, alot of ice and Ibuprofen for the swelling. I know what you mean its hard to go in for the injections when the last ones did not work, One has to have faith the next round will help reduce the pain and for some lucky people it illiminates the pain altogether. For me the hardest part of the procedures is thinking about it the day before. I would ask alot of questions from your Dr.
    If the the MBB injections didnt work I wonder why they would do the RF. I would guess they would target another area with injections, if you noticed any relief then try the RF.
    Good luck SG

This discussion has been closed.