Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back seizing up at night, can't move once I sit at end of the day - thought surgery would help with

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I have been very optimistic about my surgery and the results. I know I am only 3 weeks out and have a lot of healing to do but I am starting to get a taste of what is better (fixed) and what is not!

I can walk with less pain - yay!
I can bend and move with less pain - yay!

BUT... two nights ago my back seizing up at the end of the day started back up again.

I am fine all day (I even walked a mile today) but at night, I sit on the couch to watch TV for 1-2 hours to unwind before bed and then I can't get up. My body does not want to straighten out. When I force it (which I now need someone to stand in front of me to hold on to) to straighten out, I get INCREDIBLE searing pain! It goes away a second later but my body just gets stuck in the sitting position and can't straighten. I can't even adjust myself from a lying down position to a sitting position without pain once I have been sitting (only at the end of the day) for a hour or more!

WHAT IS THE DEAL???? Anyone else have this? What can I do?

Thanks!!
advertisement

Comments

• Your back is trying to tell you that you should not be sitting on the couch, and especially for such a long time without moving around a bit. Try sitting on a harder chair that you do not sink down into and get up every 15-20 minutes and walk out to the kitchen and back, or do mild, gentle stretches.

Did they teach you how to "log roll" in the hospital? Perhaps you weren't there long enough!

It sounds like you are putting too much stress on the lower lumbar area when you are trying to change position. And you do know you should not be bending, right? Even though you did not have the main back muscles cut, your body still has plenty of healing to do. You want to protect that area of your back as much as possible while you are fusing.

• Oh, I feel your pain! Something very similar happened/happens to me.

Mine is brought on when I lie down and then try to get up again. My NS scratches his head and seems clueless. At first they insisted it was spasms, but for 5 months, I've told them again and again, that it has not gone away even though the severity has changed. (and I don't mean it is gradually going away. It's as if at 4 months, my back decides, "ok, it's time to allow her to at least get up without screaming out in pain, and without help" so it went from, say a 10 every time I get up, to a 5.) It has not changed since that overnight "sensation" that had me thinking I was on the home stretch.

I do hope it is a fleeting phase for you, take it easy, as Meydey is completely right. Baby yourself, and don't do anything that hurts!
    >:D<
  • I think your body is crying out for help by telling you that your doing too much too soon. Your along way off from being healed. Your back was cut into and all those muscles and tissue need time to heal. I think a mile at one time is too much. After my back surgery and neck surgery I was instructed not to prolong my sitting or standing or walking to more then a half hour at a time. I was to alternate it. My restrictions for work are the same. No prolong sitting or standing. I agree with the other posts. After that mile walk your muscles are tightening up and are painful. It would feel the same if you were out of shape and ran 5miles, the next day you would be in major pain. Slow down and do things gradually. Walk 2 sessions 1/2 mile per time. Relax and rest up and soak in a hot tub after your walk to loosen up those achy muscles. Bending
    was also forbidden, who told you that you could bend so soon after a fusion?
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Lynne Hi.
    I just wanted to say for what it is worth
    after I wwent through my first surgery 11 years ago
    my back used to seize up also around ;my 3,4 or 5 month
    post op time. I found that after my walk that I would
    ice up for at least 20 to 30 minutes that helped me
    alot whtever you do dont quit walking it was probably
    most important thing I did for myself
    after my 6 month post op the cramping and the pain did
    go away
    good luck and let me know
    Mark
  • No Offense, but you have no idea where you stand at 3 weeks. You should not be sitting for periods longer than 30 minutes. I'm approaching 2 years, and I still show extreme caution when it comes to sitting, especially lounge chairs.

Dave
  • the advice above is very good. all i can add is that with your condition of facet problems there is a fluid that surrounds the facet joints and in the middle of the day when youre more active the body generates more lubrication fluid. when you rest there isn't as much fluid so what gwennie told you about how to sit and the log roll are very pertinent.
    be more aware of your position when resting....
    pete
  • Thanks for the advice. Maybe the walk was too much? I will cut back and see if that helps and also try to baby myself after a walk.

I try not to bend, but sometimes it just happens as I have to get something off the floor. I know I should try harder but life is soooo busy and it doesn't hurt when I bend like it did before surgery, so it is easier to forget and just bend to get something! I can't always find my grippers when I need to get something and I seem to need stuff all the time!! I do try to use my legs and keep my back straight a lot of the time. So, you are right to yell at me - I am not really good at being a patient first - I tend to be a Mom first and meet my responsibilies as such!

I guess I need all of you to keep me in line.
  • It is a choice we all learn to make. Just realize that there is a correlation between stiffness and pain and what you've been doing. You'd be amazed how long things can remain on the floor without it causing grave damage...while you hunt for your gripper.

This is one of the main reasons some surgeons still brace their patients after fusion -- it is a reminder to NOT bend or twist or reach out for things.

It's great you feel so well that you forget about "the rules," but your body will be happier if you follow them exactly, as much as possible!! ;)
advertisement