Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has Anyhone Tried Massage Relief Of Spinal Stenosis Symptoms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Has anyone tried massage therpay to help with the pain of Spinal Stenosis? I am thinking of going for one but I want to know if anyone else has tried it and if it helped. Please let me know your experiences with massage therapy for this condition, thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• good to meet you...i have severe spinal stenosis and massage therapy does me no good. i feel my body aching more the next day....but you might like it. you dont know unless you try
    good luck....pete
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,051
    so it is very important to know which type you are thinking about.

Sweedish Massage
    This is the gentle , feel good massage that you can get by going to many of the Nail/Toe/Massage Spas.
    That is what it is intended to do, relax you and make you feel good. In terms of any long term medical benefits, I believe they are extremely limited.

Physical Therapy Massages
    Here the therapist can get deeper and put more pressure on the area that is causing the problem. For the most part these massages are still comfortable and you should walk away with a relaxed feeling. The advantage of this type of massage over the Sweedish massage is that there was a specific purpose and part of the body that this massage was trying to improve.

Thai Deep Tissue Massage
    I stress Thai, because any massage palor can say they do deep tissue massage. When a person trained in the old Thai technique, its the use of elbows, heels, feet, toes, knuckles to get DEEP inside of your muscles. I've been doing this for almost 3 years now and it can be very very very painful. But the results are great. When I was in the midst of my major thoracic problems, no medication, no therapy could help me out, 3 months of weekly deep tissue massage and my thoracic area started to calm down. I am now on a maintainence schedule so I go 2 x a month.

Which is right for you? All depends on your exact problem and what needs to get done. My Thai Deep Tissue person will not see anyone unless they have a referral from a doctor with a specific script. Not that he uses the script, because after 10 minutes of sizing the situation, he knew what needed to be done. My guy was a pre-med student and knows the entire bone/muscle/ligament structure.
    Thats the type of person you would want to see if you went the Thai Deep Tissue route
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • This may be a bit naive, but i did buy one of those full chair shiatsu massage units, for like $150 or so, and it does help a bit, at least for a short term.

d

• You may find that an anti-inflammatory medication on a regular basis will help with the pain.

I think you'll find that massage therapy will only be useful if you do it on a continuing basis. I go every week.

Where is your pain located and when do you have it?
  • My pain is right on my lower back and it's pretty severe. It's worse when I first get out of bed, I can barely move because I'm so stiff. It seems my back is always in pain and the only thing that changes is the severity of it. Some days are better then others. I might give it a shot. My back muscles are extremely tense so I figure if a massage loosens them up a bit then I might get some relief. Unfortunately I have no coverage so I can't go all the time.
  • I have arthropy (arthritis) due to the herniation and have had facet joint injections that helped a lot. But I have tried massage and that helped also. Many massage schools have almost graduating students and the cost of a massage is much more reasonable. I used to go while I was in college to get a relaxation massage at more than half price of the regular Massage Therapist. The Instructor is always walking about. They used the thumper machine on me but could only tolerate it a little. Good luck and get a referral from your Dr and use the receipts for tax purposes. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have had massage therapy for stenosis and it is useless for me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,051
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but it would be much more accepted if you can go about it in a positive way and not just dismissing it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i have spinal stenosis and ive had a massage which helped greatly!!!! i couldnt afford to continue, but im going tomorrow to a different place that is giving them to me for $20 less :) so im now going to be able to do them more often, thank goodness!!! i know this is 2 years late but im hoping you tried it and got relief! im wishing my app was today cuz im in soooo much need of help lol i also have planter fascia pain in my foot so tomorrow cant come soon enough. good luck!

keep looking up cuz that where it all is!
advertisement