Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not ready to go back to work!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not?
Had minimally invasive spine surgery as my Dr calls it. I had my L3 fused to my L4. I have an incision on my back and my side.
Next wed the 22nd I go for an MRI and meet with my surgeon. I am currently on long term disability through my employer. I am afraid he will tell me to go back to work! I do not feel ready, I am still nursing my back and it hurts. My disability income is very low but do I have any say in the matter or is it up to my Dr?
Curious of my options if any?
Tempted to cancel and reschedule my apt??

• After my fusion, when I started Long Term Disability, I was Terminated by my employer of 23 years. The company said they had no job that I could perform with my physical limitations. I really expected something different. I guess I was a little naive about big companies (oil company). Now I'm on Social Security Disability and just starting to try and find some part time work that I'm able to do. I meet with my Department of Rehabilitative Services contact in a couple of weeks. I'd like to go back to work, but I'm beginning to think it will never happen.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"

Last Surgery:
    L4-S1 Fusion w/rods & screws
  • I think you need to be honest with your surgeon of your fears returning to work. Not sure what you do for a living, but if you are still on narcotics some companies don't allow them depending on your job. Also if you are handling something that may put someone else in a dangerous position and you don't feel comfortable make sure they are aware of it. Canceling the appointment is not a very good idea to me. You are only putting off the inevitable that you have to face. I would rather go deal with it head on and see what the surgeon has to offer. He or she may feel that you need some therapy or more of it and completely understand your situation. But stalling for a few weeks just leaves you in limbo land without a plan to get you back to work or knowing what is to come. In addition they may think when you do return to them that you can't be hurting that bad if you cancelled your appointment. That is just my take. I really need to know what is going on in my health care and take charge of it and meet those things head on. At the end of the day don't have that feeling like i skipped school and wondering what is going to happen. Good luck hope it all works out for you.
  • Has anyone ever gaotten a second opinion after surgery? When I went for my 1 month post op visit the PA said I could whatever I wanted and if it was too mch that I would know it and could return to work in one month. Of course I have no job to return to as I had not worked the required full year for FML and I was out of work 2 months before surgery so they could not continue to hold my job. I will have to reapply once I have no restrictions. My back almost as bad as before surgery - sometimes worst - and I still do not have use of my leg 2 months post-op. What do you do if they don't believe their wonderful surgical skills have not worked. I feel like financial existance is in the hands of my doctor and I am totally out of control of my life. Disc removal at T 12 and fusion with plate and screws at L5 and S1 after decompression. LTD ins. wants me to fill for Social Security disability.