Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain

debwh4ddebwh4 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can any one give me any advise please, I am going out of my mind with worry. I am 41 years old and last year had a bad car accident and have suffered with my back ever since. I have been having Physion for 6 months with no relief and 2 months ago had to spend a week in hospital it was so severe. I have lower back pain travelling to my right buttock, into my groing down my right leg to my right foot.
I have finally had my MRI Scan that shows a few problems but the conclusion at the bottom reads...There appears to be a trabsitional lumbo sacral vertebra which I take to be L5. There is a Moderate disc protrusion at L4/5 which is predominantly right sided and is compressing the right L5 nerve root and right Anterior Thecal Sac. Mild desiccation change noted at L2/3 AND L3/4. Some degenerate changes also noted at T10/11.
I have now started having problems controlling my bladder, I had to take another visit to the Hospital 2 wks ago because of the numbess and pain and the Doc said my bladder problems were nothing to do with my back problem but my GP is saying it does. I am on a waiting list to see a Spinal Surgeon but the pain and the bladder problems are just not getting any better. Has anyone else had any problems like the above. Any advise would be really appreciated.

• But I would advise you to see someone very quickly. One of the first things a spinal surgeon will ask you is if you have had any bladder problems. Can your GP get you into a surgeon? If you have the name of your surgeon already you might want to give him/her a call.

I hope you get some relief soon.
  • Hi Jacey

Thank you for your reply

I do have the name of the consultant and I have even tried to book a Private consultation with him to be told it is going to take 6 wks. I also told them at the Hospital who I was waiting to see and they just said I would not be moved up the list. My GP has said he can not do anything to get me up the ladder as the consultants have there own waiting lists and just told me to go back to A&E but I have been there and been sent home with more drugs. I will call my GP again this morning to explain that something needs doing quickly.
    Many Thanks
  • I am not sure what type of doctor or the experience level of the doctor that told you the bladder control was not related (or the full information) but can tell you what I was to do if my condition worsened and if certain symptoms occured. I was told that if lose bladder control then that is the RED FLAG and to go to hospital emergency immediately. From my perspective and personal circumstances it does not hurt to be conservative. I would be ringing my GP and asking him / her to push things along or be off to hospital.

Please note I am not in the medical profession so can only tell you what I was told in my condition which may not be related to yours. I hope it is not serious

Kind Regards
  • with the other posters that it may be serious and if you are very concerned i would go to the emergency room where you will get immediate attention. i had the urinary problems years ago so i called my dr. he said to go to the er room. i did and was operated on the next day. my urinary troubles were cured...good luck
  • Please read through this site:

I can't believe a doctor told you there was no link between your spinal problems and the bladder symptoms.

Please keep trying to get someone to look at you. Many people regret waiting too long.
  • Hi

Thanks very much for that link several of the things on there refer to me at the moment, I have called my GP today who can't get me an appointment until Mon (great) I thinks the best thing I can do is to go again to A&E and hope that someone will listen to me, I just do not want to be sent home again with more painkillers I am already on Morphine, Diazapan, Diclophenic and Paracetamol.
    Thanks Again
  • Glad you have pushed forward the appointment (with your doctors support from 6 weeks to 4 days). There is also an article on this site http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/back-pain/when-are-back-problems-emergency (that couldn't find when last posted as so much information on this site) but you clearly got the message from the members (especially Gwennie that gave you the link) and your family doctor that we are concerned. Please update us and hope you make significant progress quickly.

Incidentally I would suggest that if anyone wants to put you off then you need to point out what you know (that according to these sources (and your doctor?) it is an emergency symptom (and your doctor is also very concerned) and you want it to be treated as emergency until know otherwise) in a very polite way. A polite way will normally be more effective than agressive confrontation that they can dismiss as irrational ranting and raving and claim you could not communicate key points. Be careful with the phrasing such that they are actively taking the (accountable) decision for classifying as non-emergency and not treating quickly and not threatening. All professionals cherish thier reputation and will protect it.

As stated previously I am not a doctor and probably read similar things to you but you also have the support of your doctor.

Best wishes and kind Regards >:D<
  • Hi Terry
    Thank you for your reply, I have not got the appt to see the consultant this is just to go to my GP for him to try to push me forward. The NHS is diabolical at the moment I have been getting so many mixed messages from diff Docs and Nurses but I think I knew there was something really wrong. I am taking a visit to the A&E dept this afternoon after a really bad night sleep once again. Someone needs to listen to me this is ruling my life at the moment as I am just stuck in the house, not confident enough to go out.
    I will let you know how I get on.
    Thank you again