Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

meds. after surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
iam having a 360 fusion in two weeks and I was wondering if some of you could let me know the meds they had you on after surgery and when they send you home. i know it depends on the doctor but i thought with your help i could get an idea.

• Usually they will send you home with a main pain pill, that you are to take round the clock, another for break through pain that you take as needed, a muscle relaxer and in some cases, gabapentin or Lyrica if you've had nerve pain.

To some degree it depends on what the patient has been taking prior to surgery, for how long, how much, etc.

In my particular case, I had oxycontin with hydrocodone for break-through pain, Lyrica and some awful muscle relaxer that made me feel like I was tripping on LSD. I think I took it about three times and threw it away. My doctor also put me on Lyrica as I had a badly compressed nerve for over three years prior to surgery.

I took my medications faithfully, around the clock, for the first two months when I stopped everything but Lyrica.
  • I'm sure it does vary quite a bit. What I experienced was PCA for the first 24 hours, then they took that out and went to Percocet. When I went home I was given Percocet, Flexeril(muscule relaxer), and a sleeping pill. I used Ibuprofren for breakthrough pain. It was a bit rough, I don't remember the first few days, but if got better after that. I hope all goes well!!!!
    Surgery 1/07/2009
    1. L3-4 decompression laminectomy and foraminotomy
    2. Left complete L3-4 discectomy with decompression of L4 root.
    3. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion, L3-4 with 10-mm Capstone cage and autograph.
    4. Posterior spinal fusion L3-L5 with iliac bone graph and BMP
    5. Legacy instrumentation, L3 to L5