Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, Adriene 30yo female who reciently had a spinal fusion of the L5S1. An operation that was supposed to be 4hrs took about 7 hrs to do. Now I am recovering. Some days I feel fine others I dont. I have noticed that I have very strong depressive episodes now not sure what is causing that. I am looking for support for my emotions form anyone who has went through any kind of back surgery. Found this site I hope to chat with some of you soon. It has only been 3 weeks since my surgery.

Hugs to you hope to chat with some of you soon.

• yah so long a surgery and i'll bet youre on pain meds which might make you down in dumps. been there done that. i sure hope you feel better. what meds you on? pete
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come to the right place to get info and help with your emotions and pain problems. :X remember, everyone heals differently, so be patient!! :D good luck and keep us informed! :? Jenny :)
  • You might want to post on the part of the board under "treatments" with a subheading "Back and Neck Surgery." You will find many of us who have had fusion and have a wide variety of experiences with surgery and recovery.

You have just gone through a BIG surgery and a very traumatic one. Three weeks is very early in the recovery process.. I didn't really start feeling anything like myself until about the 10 week point. Some surgeons do not do an adequate job in preparing their patients for the length of recovery that is required.

It is normal to feel depression. It goes along with some of the medications for pain. I think you'll find that recovery is a couple steps forward and then, one back. It is important that you learn to listen to your body and do not try to rush the process along. It is easy to do too much and then regret it the following day.

I look forward to hearing about your progress and hope that soon you will be feeling a bit sunnier.
  • What gwennie said. Except for me it took more like 4 months to "start." Hang in there it gets better. I remember saying to the doc, which one of these pills is the one that makes me happy. Good luck on your recovery.