Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical fusion recouperation time

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all - I am a self employed 60 year old woman who acts like a 30 year old :))) and describe myself as an "orthopaedic train wreck". I am scheduled for a posterior cervical spine fusion in early October(at two levels) and I have some specific questions regarding recouperation and your insights.

I need surgery due to a spinal cord injury from 20 years ago (body sufing in Hawaii!) when I nearly broke my neck. I have not had much pain from the injury, but now with the aging process I have developed severe stenosis which is beginning to impinge my spinal column enough that my surgeon fears a catastrophic injury should I have a car accident or serious fall, etc.

So I am particularly interested in recouperation time and how I can do things such as type and talk on the phone for any length of time. I am self employed and work from home doing career coaching by phone. I have a large client load (not surprising in this economy). I'd like to hear from folks about how quickly they felt they were back to normal (enough) that they could think clearly and carry on meaningful work.

I don't want to short my clients, but I need to get back to work as quickly as possible. In general I am very active, swim, kayak, golf. I have a high tolerance for pain (one of the reasons I am such a "wreck"). Any insights? Thanks for your time.
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. well, i have a BD coming up on Thursday and i know the feeling of feeling 19 but going on 53!!! =)) i lived in Kauai for almost 4 years and loved to boogie-board!! :D i am sorry you hurt yourself!!! ~X( check out the "Back and Neck" surgery forum for some input on your procedure. also look it up on Pain Topics, A-Z listed on the side. :? the more information you have the better prepared you are for recovery!! =D> i have one idea, what about a speaker phone or phone where you won't need your arms? :? check it out!!! good luck and keep us informed.. :D Jenny :)
  • Hi,

It took me about 3 months before I completely felt better from my cervical fusion, one level. I had horrible nerve pain left shoulder to hand afterwards, lost use of left hand for about 2 weeks afterwards. Doc said a "nerve" that was pinched woke up.

We all recover differently. I have done well with the cervical fusion.

Jenny's idea about the phone is a good one. Check out all the information provided on this site so that you are prepared for surgery and the recovery at home.

Best wishes,

Marianne
  • Marsha,
    Hello and welcome to spine-health. As Marianne said we all recover at different rates. In my experiance after having two posterior surgeries, I was feeling better around 3 months after surgery. I have not returned to normal by any means. You may be able to do work while lying down, or in a recliner. It is tougher when they go in posterior, they have to cut through a lot of muscle, at least in my case they did. I am not trying to scare you , just give you my experiance. Hope that all goes well with you.

Mark