Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 finger points -3 fingers point back at me

Centurion45CCenturion45 Posts: 648
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Chronic Pain
[Edit - I was going to post this as a tag to a ealier post on someone else's thread, but I felt the meaningfulness would be lost.]
I have to say that all of us have responsiblities to ourselves. I am resp.. to look after me. It's up to me to exercise, think, be mindful- in the moment of each movement I perform each day and watch how my body responds to movement. Somedays I can walk really well, others I am having issues and really have to watch what I am doing. Some days, I have high pain episode and others, I find are low and I am active. I guess what I am trying to say - is that I will never point a finger and say "you otta ......" cause I dont live with you. I live with me and the only one who is going to check up on me - IS ME. So while I see the point of making suggestions to others, it is not my "job" to do that. I encourage you - but I will not bash you about the head, to have you agree with me. I liken this to petting a porcupine. You can pet a porcupine, but stroking with the quills, you cannot reverse direction, without getting a handful of them in your hand. I know for me that I try to be careful in posting something that I am not rubbing things the "reverse" direction.

[2006]I ran across a study from a paper presented at a 2005 "psycology in spain" conference. The paper was an in depth look at multiple disciplines in working with us as patients[about 10,000 of us]. What I read from it, looking at the data, was that the patients - us - who had the best outcomes as far as the Dr's were concerned, were the ones who had gotten to a point of realizing that WE are reponsible for our own recovery and took an active part in participation and planning and execution of our "recovery". I had in fact been trying to find a way to involve myself in my own recovery and with this information I realized that it was up to me to help myself as much as possible. Not point fingers at others to fix me all of the time, but look around and take an interest in helping me. It is a rather lonely pursuit but I find it rewarding as I find a tidbit here and there, that helps my day pass a little easier. My attitude is also tempered with the acceptance and realization that I too have some structural issues with my spine and some very real degenerative issues that may require help from a host of professionals, and have required them in the past. Even as of this week, I have a date with a surgeon to discuss ideas, so there is another level of acceptance to this.

[I trust that the message is not lost, peace - David]
advertisement

Comments

• Good read! Your message wasn't lost on me.

Judy
  • I agree 100%. I tried to respond in a longer post, but find myself lacking in words as to what I would say.

I just can't get my thoughts out without being harsh. Not aimed at you at all!

Thanks for this post, I think I can do better in ignoring some of the things that keep pulling my quills out, maybe...
  • do well motivating ourselves. but others struggle. when we struggle we seek other people we can join to help guide us. thats why there are so many support groups. spine health being one. i see very few people who are able to direct themselves.

• Hi Pete - good point, I fall into that catagory of doing things right and not sometimes too, Especially when I have a streak of low pain days.

Wrambler - I try to say things in a way, that people understand that I could have the same conversation over a coffee and you would not be offended by me. I think that going around and bashing people just to see "Hornets" fly just for the heck of it is kind of sad.

Judy - always a pleasure, cheers to you and all.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.