Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

having my spinal fusion 6am tomm,so scared

Rebel YellRRebel Yell Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i am so scared i cant seem to get my nerves under control. i cant eat my stomach is in knots , icant think ,im so scared something will go wrong dont know why? its like i am ready , then all sorts of crazy things pop in my head. im taking zanax but it makes me sleep so maybe thats a good thing. iv got my comfort zone set up , my family and friends are very supportive , im just really having a hard time. got my brace that wasnt so bad they were very nice and made sure it fit perfect since im short so hopefully it will be ok after surgery. if im this messed up now ,i can just imagine what ill be like in the morning. i sure would thank all of you for words of encourement and prayer please . hope all of you are doing great .ill post when i get home hoping for mon. see ya soon renee
advertisement

Comments

• Hey Renee, it's that time, and you ARE prepared. That should be your mantra: I'm prepared, and I'm OK. My prayers are with you. You'll be fine. hugs
  • i've been thinking about your surgery coming up.
    youve got the good wishes of lots of people. youre all set. it's going to go well.
    cant wait to hear from you when your fixed up
    best of luck....pete
  • Even the bravest of us are scared before surgery, It's only natural, but you must remember that you will be in good hands with people that are doing this stuff every day. I am sure that you have done all your homework with your situation and now the moment has arrived.
    I am sure that everyone here, like me, wishes you well and we look forward to hearing from you very soon.

We will be thinking of you tomorrow and holdimg all the good thoughts for you.

Hang in there!

John B
  • You're in my prayers Renee. Please let us know how you are doing as soon as you are up to it.

Marianne
  • We've all been there. Pretty soon you'll be back on the board advising others who are feeling what you are this morning, as they await their surgery. Believe it or not, it will all be over soon and if you are a faithful reader of these boards, I bet you'll come out of it thinking "That wasn't as bad as I was anticipating!!"

When you catch yourself feeling very nervous today, remind yourself to take some slow, deep breaths for a couple minutes...try to let everything go. If you're an Ipod person, find your most favorite music...and remember to breathe deeply and slowly.

It will all be over soon and you'll be well on your way to recovery.

Think of all your spiney friends who are with you in spirit!!

xx Gwennie
  • It is understandable that you are nervous, heck if you werent you wouldnt be normal, we are all praying for you and we know everything will be great, I am going next thursday for my 3rd Fusion, I have been there before and I am still nervous, cant wait to hear from you when you are feeling better, Look on the bright side you have this beautiful brace now what a fashion statement huh, Just thought I would add that little sense of humor, without that I would probably be in the nut house. It helps me to read everyones posts, so maybe when you get home if you dont feel like writing, try reading some if you are up to it, you never know it just might cheer you up, good luck tomorrow and God Bless. Remember someone is always here to listen.
  • Boy, haven't we all been there, walking in your shoes being very scared? I think the day before is the worst. For me, the morning of my surgery I felt a very strange peace because it was finally happening and I didn't have to anticipate it any more. The anticipation is really worse than the actual surgery, like Gwennie said, and I'm sure that'll be the first thing you'll post when you can.

It was funny because the night after my surgery when I was still in the hospital, I really couldn't sleep well, but a few times I'd fall asleep and then wake up with a start and think, "OMG, I'm gonna have surgery..." Then I'd remember that I was in the hospital and the surgery was over.

Take care and keep taking those deep breaths today. We'll see you on the flip side!
    Cath
  • I am right behind you on Tuesday! I say we don't need luck just good surgeons!
  • Have I ever told you I hyperventilated the ENTIRE 45 min drive to the hospital for my first spine surgery(fusion?) My husband(who is a paramedic) had to yell at me first to get my attention then talk me down the whole way. When we got close, I begged him to take me home. Thankfully, as soon as we got in the preop area they started that IV and gave me Versed so I stopped climbing the walls! Make sure when you arrive you tell them how nervous you are, they will give you happy juice.

It is so normal to be nervous. I tell people if you weren't a little bit nervous, then you didn't consider the surgery carefully enough. You are normal! I am sure that you will do fine, sounds like you have everything in place and are very organized.

I noticed you had a religious note in your sig line. You know, you can always ask for the hospital chaplain to make rounds on you or see you before surgery if you think that would help your nerves. Chaplains aren't just for emergencies. They are for whatever spiritual needs folks have. While I do not share your faith, I have asked for the chaplain when I was working to help deal with traumas(for myself and staff) and as a patient just for a kind ear to listen and smile at me. They really can be calming.

Keeping you in my thoughts and we'll see you on the other side! If you think your hubby can figure it out, have him post an update for us!

Angie
  • Mine is July 27th. I wish all the best for you. My nervousness comes and goes but I am sure I will be like you by Monday.
  • My surgery is next Wednesday, July 29th and I am already unable to sleep. I understand how you feel and hope you come through with flying colors.

Jan
  • thank all of you guys so very much. im feeling better. all of your post was so comforting. just think when i post again ill be a spiney not a neewbie lol . hpoe to post mon or tues. my daugters can let you guys know being they set me up on this site. thank all of you again , O:) renee
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope that your surgery went well and that you have a speedy recovery. I've been thinking of you and you're in my prayers.
  • Just thinking about you and praying you are doing well, all of us will be thinking about you and cant wait to hear from you again, hopefully with some good news. God Bless
    Tweety
advertisement