Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro-D yesterday

ibivyiibivy Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey folks.

I appreciate this forum like nothing else, especially today.

I had a lumbar micro-discectomy at the L4-5 level yesterday. Everything has been going well, and while the pain is definitely there and hard-core, it's tolerable.

I live with my partner, but thankfully my mom flew from my home state to stay with me this week. A few hours ago I found that one of my cats had tapeworms, and as I've been in the animal care field for years, I immediately jumped into as much action as I could, noting what needed to be done and calling in an order for de-wormers.

And then I realized I had been on my feet for too long, and while I'm doing my hardest not to twist/turn/pick anything up/use correct movements in any bending.... it's scary! I don't expect this to be the magic bullet, I have a multitude of other spinal issues that are complicating... but gahh! I became instantly horrified at the idea of re-herniating. So now I'm on bed, icing for a bit, and putting in a movie.

...and reading other posts on micro-d surgeries, and getting confidence from those of you that did not say "so I re-herniated after 24 hours" or some such thing. Might sound a bit crazy, worrying about things like that, but I guess I needed a bit of reinforcement.

Thanks everyone- for all your sharing, stories, and thoughts.

• thats great things went well. get the pet squared away and everything will be good. i was just curious about your procedure. did they knock you out or just use local anesthesia? also how long did it take.
  • Hi Pete.

The surgery itself lasted approximately 90 minutes. I was under general anesthesia.

I'm a graduate student, and luckily have access to a huge number of journals, so I spent the month prior to surgery devouring all related or somewhat-related articles related to surgery, my issues specifically, other treatments, etc. etc.

The most common range I'd seen for microdiscectomies was 45 to 75 minutes. I haven't read of any that used only local anesthetics, although that's not to say they're not performed.