Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm from Alabama, and I'm new

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in New Member Introductions
I only recently started posting on the board, but I keep up with the posts daily. After of year of excruciating pain, I underwent an ALIF at L5/S1 6 weeks ago. Now, I'm having new pain in new places. I hope to make friends on this board as I make this journey. There is so much knowledge and experience contained here from caring and helpful people. The answers here are from a much better perspective than an MD. I hope that I can be considered a friend, and I will offer any help that I can, with my limited knowledge.

• your a friend just be joining us....good to meet you and welcome to this tribe of pain people. so how about the old pains . did they go away. and could you describe the new pains....pete
  • The L5/S1 surgery went well, and I have limited discomfort with it. My new pain is at T2 (or 3), and is a burning pain that radiates up my neck and out to my shoulders. It feels like a bad sunburn and I can't stand clothing to touch it. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he didn't seem concerned. He said that I should give things time to settle down. I don't go back for 2 months!! But, is it common to have a new pain on the opposite end of the spine than from the surgery, 6 weeks later?
  • that part of your spine may be under more stress now that youre recovering. are you using a cane or crutches more?
  • I'm walking on my own and I try to be conscious of my posture, but I know that I feel tension in my shoulders. I'm not sure if it's because of the pain, or the cause of the pain. Could it be something that I'm doing to myself? I'll certainly stop it if it is. Otherwise, would it take 6 weeks for the new pain to show up? It's only been happening for 3 or 4 days, and it use to start late afternoon, but I woke up with it this morning.

• sure sounds muscular. i would either do some light stretching or go to a neuromuscular massage person. I doubt that its anything serious. When stretching or massage doesnt work sometimes the next step is trigger point injections. just try to get those muscles loose. also try ice or heat. that might help....keep us posted
  • i hope that you will make friends too and learn new stuff
  • Welcome aboard the "Spine Boat" where "Hope Floats" --too much caffeine this afternoon. I'm sure the men on this board are happy to have another male around (you know for all the men stuff you guys talk about).

Good to hear you are recovering nicely from your surgery. I agree with Pete, maybe a massage would help -- I don't know if you're able to do that so soon after your surgery. I had upper back pain for years, totally muscular, and it was alleviated by massage. Worth a try!

Take care,

• OMG, I'm sorry to disappoint the guys, but I'm female. In all honesty though, I was nick-named after my uncle. It all had to do with hair color (back in the day).

My surgeon sent some Lydoderm patches yesterday. I put the first one on and was suppose to wear it 12 hours. Lord, in 3 hours I thought my skin must be peeling off!!! It felt like burn on top of a burn. So I've decided to load up on Biofreeze. At lease that gives me temporary relief.

I'm trying to have some semblance of a normal life, so today I decided to do laundry. Ha! Loading the washer one garment at a time, and praying that the bottle of detergent was almost empty so that I could lift it. Then comes cooking supper. OK. Salads, it is.

I find that I negotiate the day with limited mobility, I'm learning a lot about myself. I once thought that I could survive being paralized as long as my mind worked. Well, I've decided to re-think that foolishness. This is miserable, and frustrating. Well, enough complaining.

Thanks for writing,

• 8} Sorry, I jumped to the conclusion you were a man (my bad!) Another female is always welcome!

I commiserate with you -- it's no fun when something is out of whack on your body. I just thought of aloe vera gel -- maybe that would help cool the burning sensation on your skin. I keep a bottle around that has lidocaine also. Is the burning just at the skin level or deeper. What about an ice pack across the top of your back and neck? Does that help?

Yes, I'm with you on the washer/dryer thing and cooking. Not something you look forward to in your current state of recovery. You should see me loading the dishwasher -- trying to figure out ways to load without contorting my back (LOL).

You know they have dogs to assist the blind -- why not dogs that assist those with injured backs. Note to Self: Possible business venture.

Anyway, be good to yourself,

• Funny you should mention the dogs. I've seen dogs on TV that are trained to unload the dryer. I have 2 Border Collies (smartest breed in the world), & I have registered both as service dogs. They're about as useless as a box of rocks. I haven't worked with them since before my surgery, and now they're wild and crazy. Literally. The female is OCD. Sometimes I wonder who's servicing who.
  • the shoes on the other foot now...those dogs have you now. i guess theyre so smart they have you where they want you. you have a little surgery, come back, in a bit of pain...now theyre in charge...