Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cannot sit for long periods

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 4 weeks post-op from corpectomy at c5-6 with fusion 4-7 with cage and plate. I am scheduled to return to work next week after follow-up with surgeon. I find that I am having alot of pain in lower cervical area after sitting upright after about an hour. It feels like sooo much pressure is being put on my spine. I have a desk job that requires 9 hours a day and to be honest I do not think I am going to able to do it. Has anyone else experienced this? Did it get better?
Thanks, Susan

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Any long periods of time sitting will be uncomfortable. The key is that you need to get up and walk around and stretch every hour. If you dont do that, you might wind up in spasms. Discuss this with your employer, so that they can understand that you have a need to get up every once in a while.
    I've been through this so many times and the times when I have ignored getting up every 60 minutes or so, I have paid the price in pain.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yup...what Ron said.

Your back is trying to tell you something. It does not want to be in that position for anything more than short periods. Sitting puts 30% more pressure on the discs than standing.

If possible, during a break, lie down on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor, and arms near your sides, palms facing up. Try to stay there as long as five minutes and breathe slowly and deeply so your belly rises and falls.

This is a form of natural traction that will provide a break from your spine...it gives the discs a chance to unload.