Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looks like it is going to be a long night again

tweetybird716ttweetybird716 Posts: 106
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys,
It loooks like it will be another long night still not able to rest and pm dr is out of town till tuesday, his nurse basically said deal with it, It's not like I ever call them and bother them, this was the first time I have called them between appointments. Oh well I will call Tuesday and see if he can change my meds I will be more than happy to give him what is left of these.Anyone else unable to sleep, I hope after next thursday all will be better anyway as I will go for another fusion on L3/4/5. I sometimes wish that the people that talk so rudely to us on the phone would have to walk in our shoes for 24 hours and then see if they would still act the same way. See you guys later.

• I'm sorry about how they're doing you. As much money as doctors' offices get, they should be calling us back and helping us promptly. So your current meds aren't helping you anymore? Are you having bad side effects? You shouldn't have to wait til next Tuesday to get help, even if your surgery is on Thursday. If it gets too bad, please go to the ER and be seen, and I'm sure they'll understand your circumstances. I'm having trouble falling asleep too, but once my hubby comes to bed I'll have to turn off the computer. Til then I will hang around.. >:D<
  • The meds I am currently taking are keeping me awake and they make me feel angry all the time I do not like these side affects, they also are not working as well as the others have in the past. Thanks for writting back, my hubby sleeps in the bedroom and I sleep in a recliner since Jan 09 because lying down puts to much pressure on my back. So I have a computer out in the den with me. I just hope that when I have the surgery thursday it will help to some degree, I know it will not fully take my pain away because I also have lupus and Post therpatic Nueralgia. I can hope though.

• You know, I have wondered if an autoimmune condition like Lupus has played a role in attacking the spine. I just have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease and I came down with it in my teens. I had arthritis pain in all joints and it started with fever. My back hurt me at night and my mom would stay up with me. Later on in life it flare again and I was very ill. At first I was diagnosed with Lupus but then they changed it. I haven't gone to a Rheumy in over 3 years because I've been preoccupied with my back problems. I don't want to go back for them to find anything else. I'm through. If it don't kill me then I won't worry- that my motto and mine only so don't try this at home everybody ;)
  • yah i'm up too
    i go about 1.5 hours on the floor...then i'm up. i guess you have the better bed tonight...just kidding.
    here you are trying to rest for surgery and your meds arent letting you sleep!
    has dr ever given you sleep pills?
  • no I have not asked for them however it is no secret that I could not sleep I keep telling them, maybe after thursday it will be better, we all know I will definetley get 3 hours of sleep, Ha ha
  • i have tons of trouble with l2, 3,4,and5. l3 is the worst. i'll bet those knees give you trouble...
  • Yup they do because of the Lupus, I also have Post therpatic Nueralga from shingles, I had my neck fusion in 2006 and 1 Lami, Then 1 fusion of l5/s1 last Feb. now I am going next Thursday for afusion on L 3/4/5 That should give me some relief. I am hoping anyway.
  • i have fusion in neck and lumbar too. so we are doing battle on both ends of the spine. are you using same surgeon as before?
  • I am using the same 2 surgeons I did respect them for the other three surgeries I had so I will continue to use them as neccesary, you didnt say how you got injured , or if this is ddd
  • is real complicated...i had tumor in my pituitary gland starting at 17 yrs old. it made the bones bigger which put pressure on spine. then i got in a couple of sports injuries. now i have ddd, stenosis, foreaman narrowing and ligamentum flavum. i'm 67 now so i'm used to doing battle
  • You have been in it for awhile then, me not that long, I found out 7 yrs ago about the lupus when my legs hurt so bad I could barely walk and bending them to get up the stairs was almost immpossible, then in 2006 I had a car accident and had my first neck fusion as well as the lami, 2008 I had a fusion on L5/S1 and it did ok but I got a lot of nerve damage from that, I have a foot that feels like it is burnt and any little thing that touches it makes you want to scream, so now on thursday I will go for the next fusion and hope I wont come back with aatching foor with nerve damage, I also have a bunch of scar tissue that they will remove when I go.
  • youve been in it long enough.
    i dont know much about lupis but i met a fellow who had it so i remember how he walked so slowly.
    youve been thru procedures before so i'll bet youre not nervous.maybe even looking forward to it?
  • My last surgery was not any piece of cake, I had a spinal leak and got a staff infection and spent 21 days there as opposed to the 4 it was supposed to be, and two weeks after the initial surgery they went back in to clear out the infection and seal the spine, hut in the meantime they would not let me out of the bed for anything, I had to lie flat at all times, It really sucked
  • sounds rough...that leakage can give terrible headaches. plus the infection. you get enough surgeries and that 5% chance of complications can catch up to you.
    i had infection last surgery too and had to have them go in again too.
    talking about spinal fluid, years ago before they had scans they used to drain the fluid out to x ray the head....talk about pain....you cant believe it. i saw stars....amazjng what they do now. you wait long enough and something good gets developed...
  • sounds like we are related where do you live, I live in Beautiful Ga, the only bad side to that is it gets real hot , I love to be outside but with the lupus sunshine is a nono because it can trigger and episode.cant have any fun, did put a swing outside under the trees so I could sit and read, I miss working it really was what I loved to do, I hope to continue but right now not one of the three drs I am seeing will sign my release to go back.
  • Hi Tweety,

I'm a nurse. Before I ended up on disability I wore the patient's shoes. I felt it helped me empathize with my patients' care a great deal. My last hospital stay, ugghhhh, the nursing assistants were horrible. I find it very hard being a nurse then a patient knowing what I know, i.e., how to wash up a patient properly, etc. So frustrating. And then when I get a "snubby" nurse on the phone who doesn't take the time to be compassionate that really gets me.

You sure do need to be rested before surgery. I'm shocked they won't make sure of that for you. I do hope your surgery brings you relief. Best wishes to you.....

• Have you tried Melatonin?

I've no idea how this would affect Lupus - but when I had trouble sleeping my homecare nurse suggested I try Melatonin, just the 5mg dose from the local grocery store.

t works wonderfully, too much almost. I only use it when I can get a full night of sleep: Too little sleep time = fuzzy head the next day.

Best of luck.
  • I'm a big fan of taking 1 Benadryl (diphenhydramine 25mg--an antihistamine) to help sleep or Flexeril (10mg), or even both at once depending on your other meds. That plus some chammomile tea. But then I didn't get much sleep the weeks before surgery either and I wasn't even having as much pain as you. Rest as you can and load up on movies you can fall asleep to.

Sweet dreams
  • thanks guys for all the advice I have tried all of these except for the sleeping meds.I believe as pete was showing me it is the Kadian that is keeping me awake, I did however load up on movies and books so I would have plenty to do after surgery, but I find it better to be here with my spiney friends. It makes me feel better to talk with you.
  • well we finally got some good weather up here. i think you mentioned you like sitting on a swing outside in the shade reading. i got to thinking about swingin on a swing and i think it might be good for the spine. what do you think?
  • who knows all we can do is try it, if we dont try it we will never know, it is pretty hot right now outside but the sun is down so I will probably go out in about 30 min. just to get out of the house. Let me know how the swinging goes.
  • in swinging. you could slip off and land with a thud in the mud!!!
    i do think flexing the stomach muscles while swinging could help leg pain.
    the only flexing i did today was extending my arms and sliding fried fish toward my belly. kind of a drag motion as apposed to a swing.

• I love fish so given the choice I would have done the same thing, hope you enjoyed it.I had fish yesterday but lve it and could eat some now.
  • a picnic table next to a picturesque cape cod harbor. a fish shack. juicy fried clams, fried scollops and fried fish with cole slaw and fries.
    a cool breeze with boats coming into the harbor. best day of the year...
  • You are making me jealous, hungry too, you are so lucky, now I have to find some fish at least to eat so if you dont hear from me for awhile it will be your own fault. Thanks
  • the medical field so you know fish is a brain food. and with those sleepless side affects you have the fish will keep you up....so i think i'll take the fish and you get georgia peaches and cream!
  • I didnt get the fish or the peaches and cream, Not fair, I will tomorrow though and I will let you know how good it was.
  • You guys are making me hungry! I'm in Oregon and it is hotter'n blue blazes here right now. We're escaping to the coast tomorrow to get out of the hot valley. It should be a lot nicer over there. I've got my pain meds and my back joy, so hopefully, the ride won't be too uncomfortable. I think walking in the sand on the beach will be great.

Do try the benadryl or Tylenol PM for sleep. It really helps. I'm fortunate (sort of) that I occasionally have irregular heart beats (nothing serious) so I have Xanax to calm that down. If I get really desperate for sleep, I'll take a half of one of those and I'm out.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • of surgery on lumbar so i am wishing you good luck. when youre all better i'll pay you back for the fish i took!!!