Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Success - My Weight Story post S1-L4 fusion

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Been working my tail off!! (literally - LOL)

I had no idea that my NS was tracking my weight - until I started losing weight. It's been the first thing he has mentioned both visits since I started losing the weight.

It came as a surprise becuase of every time I would complain prior to my surgery - you know - hurting too much to do much more than sit around and gain weight, well, he would just brush it off and not comment other than to say that it is hard when you can't move much.

Well- back to the subject -

Immediately after the surgery I lost a lot, but that was due to the liquids only diet. Then I gained - and gained!

Finally, 6 mo. post op I got released to do some PT - yeah!

I started to SLOWLY lose the weight, and happily, to reshape what remained!

Today, 1 year post op I am down 30 lbs. I still think I've got another 30 to go, but I could be happy here. I never believed that I could lose the weight afterwards, particularly when I was left with a bum leg post op.

How I did it:

Meat/protein with every meal.
No sugar. No added oils. No carbs.

Did I mention -no fun!!??

It's kind of basic, and I should mention that there was sweat and tears over skipping the pasta, the cheese, (oh the cheese!)the sauces and the desserts! There was also the struggle to resist those 'friendly sabotagers' who at every turn tried to convince me that one cookie could not hurt. It has not been fun by any means. It's not been easy. But I'm humbly grateful to be where I am today.

• You should be proud of yourself because losing weight is not easy.
  • That is so good to hear that you have lost the weight and are able to stick to your new way of eating. It is a lifestyle change.
    My NS and other docs also just blow it off when I complain about all the pounds I have gained. They too say with the meds you are on and a foot that is too painful to walk on .......... give yourself a break. You will lose it when the time is right. I hope they are right.
    Congrats again and stay on course.
  • It only gets better from where you are, saltz! :D

It's been 9 months since I started PT after my last surgery, which was the SCS implant. Today I got on the scale and I had to move the big slider weight down one space. The first time I moved it, I had only lost 16 pounds and it didn't seem like a big deal. Today's move marked a total of 68 pounds that I've lost and it was a MUCH bigger deal, certainly worth celebrating! :party:
  • It feels so good to lose that extra weight to carry around. Good for you! That's quite an achievement. I wish I had your stamina. Cheers. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • AWESOME!! I am only 5 weeks post op so I am not clear to exercise but I HAVE to lose this weight to decrease my chances of future injury to my discs! It is going to be sooooo hard. I am determined to do as much exercise as I can but am still waiting to be allowed to do any! I have changed my eating habits. I am eating smaller meals and have cut back on sweets. I did the no carb thing before and may have to go back to that route but not until I am able to exercise also. That was VERY hard to do!! So, I applaud you!!!

I have lost .6 pounds this week just from cutting back and doing the walking that I do - even if I can just lose .5-1 pound per week until I can exercise again, I will be happy!
  • Thank you so much for all your support!

I have to admit - it's been VERY hard. Cravings are the worst to conquer for me. I want cheese, I want cookies, I want chips. I just have to take it a day at a time and convince myself to just wait. Be good TODAY. Then the same thing the next day and the next...

Gwennie - yes the outside half of my right leg is still numb. With PT I've learned how to head off most of the charley-horses, until recently.

This month has been BAAAAD for the cramps. My calf will sieze up and stay that way for an hour if I don't work it over with heat. None of my exercises, drinking water, eating right - none of it is helping.

At this point I can hope for some improvement, but from what I hear - after a year- hope is slim.
  • I take calcium and magnesium to stop the cramps. If the extra water doesn't work the combination of the two supplements really makes a different in my legs.
  • Thanks Julie - that's just what I've been reading up on, just add Potassium in there too :). I think I'm taking enough now with supplements and food, but I'm going to double-check on it.
  • Massaging the muscles using magnesium oil helps too. :)
  • That's great!! Good for you. And how nice that your surgeon did not make a big deal over it. Mine has the same attitude. When I make the comment that I want to take some weight off, he always kind of shrugs his shoulders and indicates he knows how hard it is when we're on all these crazy meds that put weight on, when we can barely walk, etc.

I am doing something similar to your food plan...but mine is mainly because I am trying to reduce system-wide inflammation. My acupuncturist/Chinese medicine/herbalist lady has me on a gluten-free diet and I primarily eat protein, vegetables and fruits...if I have dairy it is in the raw form...goat cheese instead of cow's mild cheese, rice milk instead of cow's milk, etc. I eat some brown rice, too.

My biggest problem is no ice cream!!

You should be very proud of yourself. It is so difficult to lose weight, especially over a "certain age." Congrats!!

Do you feel any better? Is your leg still numb? Do they know why?
  • Bionic - 68 lbs!!!!!!!! WOW, that's awesome! Definitely celebrate :)

Just came on to say I'm at 40 lbs - is that up to 40 lbs lost or do I say down 40 lbs?? - in any case, DH is loving the new me, I love the new me and I'm really working on that last 10 to 20. Wow, if I can do that, I'd be back to my pre-pregnancy weight, as in just out of high school! Heavens, I might fit in a size 5 again.
This discussion has been closed.