Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it time to worry? CES or paranoia?

JWMJJWM Posts: 291
Hi there =) I'm fairly well educated on most things related to my condition, but sometimes I just need a 2(or 3rd) opinion.

I've been battling my lower back/sciatica pain for years now with meds, and have been fairly sucessful. Recently, through a few 're-injuries' I'd rather not describe, my left leg sciatica has gotten much worse, to the point that it is WAY out of the realm of 'ok' even with a bump up in my ER meds. A few days ago, my entire top of my left thigh went numb. Function of the leg is typical but the feeling just went away. Also, sadly I must admit that I've had 3 bouts of urinary incontinence in the last 2 weeks, although only while sleeping.

I'll be seeing my ortho in a few weeks, and my PM then as well, but for now, for those who have experienced similar symptoms, would you just wait it out, shack up in bed and hope for a partial recovery, or would you take the incontinence as a sign for the worst?(CES) The fact that it has been night-time only and very inconsistent makes me wonder if it's related to the leg, or just, I dunno the joys of aging or something. Anyhow, my sciatica pain has increased two-fold multiple times in the last two months, and now I am a bit worried. For now, I'm just going to tough it out. If anything else happens I'll go see someone asap. Anyone had a similar experience that fell under the category of a flare-up, and not CES?

Any experiences or advise is greatly appreciated.

• heres opinion no. one....dont take any chances...get to spine surgeon asap to check it out. you know the seriousness of CES so be careful. only the dr. and tests can tell you for sure...
    good luck...pete
  • I am sending you a link to a CES support organization because it has some excellent information on it and is worth taking a look at.

If I were you, I would be on the phone first thing tomorrow to your surgeon. I would rather error on the side of being too cautious than later regretting your decision.

Good luck.
  • Thanks for the replies; I have to agree with taking the cautious/preventative route, I just needed to hear an opinion from a couple of people who have been through a surgery or a few. I've been to the ER more than a few times in my life so I'm hesitant to go and need(ed) some convincing. Like many people here I'm sure, I'm completely exhausted from my pain and even in the face of a possibly serious condition, sometimes I just want to lay down and hope for sleep =P Researching CES a bit more before I move on this. Thanks~