Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic back and neck pain with sciatica

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I also have neck and right arm pain down to my fingers. I am not sure yet but I think this is going to be a rant. I have had chronic pain for 24 years now. Been through every hell causing treatment including traction which herniated the disks at C6-S1. Had to have 2 surgeries because the first surgery was botched by my neurosurgeon. I should have gone to a orthopedic surgeon in the first place. Anyway the pain is still there but my cervical spine is more stable.I have gone through one chronic pain program back in 1987. No help at all. Now they want me to go through another chronic pain program at Kaiser Permanente. I have come to the conclusion that for myself opiates are one of only two solutions open to me. The other one is suicide. And yes it is an option for me. I have had several attempts and one was temporarily successful although they finally brought me back. If I lose the option of opiate therapy then I will have to resort to the suicide option. I really don't think life is worth all this pain that it takes to live it. But then I am not really living either. I just exist. Steve

• hi i'm pete. i've had 40 years of pain. you have experience too much pain also. but i hope you will continue to do battle. here is a link to some help

hang in there my friend
  • I have 3 spine surgeries, most reciently 7/22/09 for lower back Lamininectomy, 2 fusions with 6 screws and two rods. I have had chronic pain for over 30 years, an suicide wasn't never an option. Why, to kill the pain? Suicide is a long term sololution to a short term problem, period and suicide is a very selfish move anyway. Sorry if the words seem harsh, but that's the way I see it. I had a Cervical Laminectomy 10/12/07 at 4 levels, and Feb. of this year a Cervical fusion at C4-5 (4 more screws and a plate)because of the exact same symptoms you describe, and my Neurosurgeon fixed me each time, same guy. So, two of my surgeries are six months apart--after going back to work for 6 weeks, my Sciatica went nuts and got worse, Sure, I'm still on Opates, but not for long, finding the right Doctor is the big key here. We all have had lots of severe pain, that's why this forum is here to share our experience, strenght, and hope. Follow those links that Pete posted and get some help.