Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Always tired

Sweetpotatoe57SSweetpotatoe57 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had surgery back in Jan. of this year. I have had all kinds of blood work done, and nothing shows up, but wondered if anyone here finds that they are always tired. I can sleep 12 hours, and still be tired. I am doing many more things, but if I lay down, just to rest my back for a few minutes, I fall asleep. Its terrible. It started right after my surgery, and after 1 year of no sleep, I was grateful for the rest, but now after almost 7 months, I am starting to get worried. I mean, I can fall asleep anyplace. So many of you here would do anything to get that amount of sleep, and for 1 year or longer, I maybe got 2 hours of sleep with all my pain, and even though I have pain now, I just keep sleeping. My Dr. isn't worried, but I worry as to why. I almost sleep to much, then feel crappy, especially if I just keep falling asleep in the day. Is strange, because before the pain kept me awake, now the pain just doesn't matter, as I sleep right through it. Then I get up stiff and in pain from not moving. Thanks, sweetpotatoe57

• :H Hi,

First let me say, being a southern girl, that sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods, especially pie at Thanksgiving time.

Since I started with all my sciatic problems (in October of last year), I started having periods of severe fatigue (first one was in November of last year), the last episode (in May)lasted more than two weeks, and all I did was sleep.

I went to my Primary Care, a hematologist and endocrinologist (lots of blood work) and everything came back fine (like you).

Sometimes I think your body just does what it needs to do to recuperate from being in pain for so long.

Of course, I looked at the meds that I was taking to see if that was the issue (went off Lyrica for a couple of weeks and it didn't change how I felt). I'm sure you've chatted about your meds with your doc.

I did start taking Emergen-C, just a booster you add to water everyday that has Vitamin C, B vitamins, electrolytes, minerals, etc. to try to boost my immune system. I'm doing much better (knock on wood) and haven't had an episode sincce May but everytime I have a pain flare, it sets me back a few days to recover my energy levels.

Did you investigate chronic fatigue syndrome? The endocrinologist mentioned this to me.

I feel for you, I really do, does the worrying about our health ever give us a break? I laugh at myself sometimes because I think how much time I spend trying to diagnose what's happening with my body. I find it helps to just divert your attention and focus on friends and family, look at a funny tv show, occupy your mind with some craft or hobby, just gives the "worry channel" a break.

Take care, Sweet, and feel free to PM me anytime you need to vent or have a little chat.

• Thanks DeltaLady for your comments. I do spend lots of time in the "WORRY MODE"!! I guess we all do. Every new pain sets off the "WHAT DID I DO NOW"! I take Neurotin at bedtime,200mgs, and then Zoloft in the day, but on 25mgs of that, so Tylenol for the pain, and that is all. They don't see anything in the meds dept that would cause the constant need to sleep. My Dr. mentioned FIBRO, but said I really didn't have all the qualifications for it, so who knows. Glad you love sweetpotatoes, as I eat one every night for supper! Great fibre, and vitamins, and I also get into the B vitamins, and calcium supplements, and things that should help with my healing. Sometimes I think I am my own worst enemy, but I still can't sit very long after my surgery, L5 S1, which does not help, and I still do have sciatica issues, but not bad anymore, just the buttox pain, and lower back pain. I have SI joint issues, and how did your feel after your ESI injections. Your are lucky no surgery to date. I would do it again, as I had no choice, but the recovery has really been slow. sweetpotatoe57
  • Hi. Their is a med that can help..
    When all blood work comes back normal..its called nuvigil they say it is the new and improved provigil.

I have found that b-12 test can come back normal. and as long as it is in the normal range, even if it is low normal, doc will say it is fine.. This has happened to me, but I would ask doc for a shot anyway. Many times this has helped me. I need my B-12 to be on the high side.They can also give you a script for B-12 shot that you can give yourself (once a week or once a month)
    Sublingo B-12 is also a option.
    Just suggestions that have helped me..
    hugs to all..Patsy
  • Thanks Lady Bug, my sister suggested B12 shots also. Its suppose to help with nerve regeneration, and keeping the nerves healthy. I try to find all the foods with B12 in them, do the whole red meat thing, eggs, etc. I was always a vegie, so the meat think is killing me! My PT suggested I start it for my restless legs, and it has helped. The legs have stopped moving! sweetpotatoe57
  • Also, a surprising number of people find that their Vitamin D level is low after surgery.

What meds are you taking??
  • Hi Gwennie,

Taking a vitamin D supplement also, and I am out in the sunshine quite a bit. Just taking Tylenol for pain, Neurotin, 200mg at bedtime, and 25 mg of Zoloft. Not much! How did your facet injections work for you!!! sweetpotatoe57