Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new to here...wondering about pain meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've read through a couple of threads, and I'm seeing that some of you are just on Tylenol as needed. That's crazy! My doctor has taken care of me since my fusion in April of 08', I've had problem true enough, but why aren't ya'll doctor's fixing your pain? Or better yet, maybe what state/country are some of your from?

• am on Norco, Flexeril and Mobic. I think some people do it by choice. There is such a high incidence of addiction with meds. Also, some may just not be in that much pain to require such strong medication. Another scenario is that some doctors may not prescribe them any more for the fear of their patient becoming addicted. Another is not having the insurance to cover the cost of the meds (I think I went on a rant here :) ).

I think you're post is sweet. :) I hope your meds help your pain level and am so glad you have a doctor that supports you.

• Right now, I'm on Perocet 7.5, Valium 5mg, and Mobic. The problem is I know when it's time to take the next dose, because I'm in pain. I keep saying I can't weight to have this all over with...but after the surgery comes more pain.
  • I had my neck surgery on 3/24. They gave me 90 vicodin, and I took 2 every 6 hours for awhile, but stopped after taking a total of 50. I just didn't need it... I never had that much pain. The whole point of the surgery was to relieve me from pain, and it worked perfectly.

The muscles that were retracted during surgery and later used to help heal the surgery site were weak... and I took Tylenol (over the counter) off and on for that. But nothing else was ever needed.

And I'm from Sunny Northern CA.
  • I find it crazy that some people heal really well, and others just don't. My point was I saw a lot of people who said they were really hurting. I just couldn't understand how a doctor who in the state of Louisiana is supposed to practice pain management by law, could let these people be in so much pain. I'm in a lot of pain, and it's depressing. Without the medication that I take, I can't even stand long enough to cook a healthy meal for my kids.

I'm happy your surgery went well. You seem to be one of the lucky ones. Keep up the good work.

PS...I can't figure out how to add my list of problems under my name, because I'm new to this. So, if anyone has any advise on how to fix it, or if I'm doing something wrong...please let me know.

• I also think it is unfortunate as well.

About your "signature" to add your list...

Go to "My account" on the top of the page

Then click "Edit" on the top right (it's kind of tiny)

Then add your signature. :)

• Has your pain doctor ever tried giving you a long acting pain medicine like Morphine for example? It will stay in your system longer and it doesn't wear off fast like Percocet. Percocets are short acting and they only last up to 4 hours.

Since my fusion, I've been on several narcotic medications and currently I take Oxycontin 40mg 2x's a day and 4 oxycodones daily for breakthrough pain. I go to pain mgt for this of course and I have been in their care because of my chronic lower back pain and sciatica.