Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Level Cervical ADR - +1 week report

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Greetings from London. I am an American working in London for about a year now. I was diagnosed in 2005 by a NS in the DC area with upper cervical C3, C4 C5, her comment - "you have a really bad neck." Typical non/low-invasive measures to deal with the symptoms of my nasty neck - pain, limited motion, pain, shooting pain, dull pain...

My treatments included cervical epidurals, RF Ablation, Facet joint injections, PT, drugs... All were very short lived solutions but they got me through triathlon training and my fiancé and I completed the Lake Norman Sprint in 2007. My condition would rise and fall over the next 18 months. In July 2008 we moved to London for my work and I started seeing Dr. EDITED for pain management and procedures and an amazing physio (PT) EDITED. My condition worsened and in the busy London lifestyle and demanding work place I realized I need to take it to the next level (no cervical disk replacement pun intended.)

I did the typical American check and recheck, trust but verify, second opinions and reference checks. They lead me to Mr. EDITED a spinal surgeon in London. He has done about 150 Cervical ADR procedures and since they are much more common here, it seems everyone has done a few and some have done 100+ but not many. Also, Mr. in medical speak is more senior than Dr. - Brits - go figure :-)

My ADR was done last Tuesday in London's EDITED. The full procedure lasted about 3.5 hours and I am the proud owner of new prestige II titanium disks at level C3/4 and C4/5. I spent one night in a high dependency unit (like our ICU) and one night in a private room. I walked home from the hospital the following afternoon. Ok, it is only 6 blocks but still pretty impressive.

Mr. EDITED was very pleased with the outcome and so am I so far. No neck brace at any time was worn and my post-op instructions are simple - do your PT as pain allows and keep moving. I am 1/2 inch taller and given that the disks are MRI friendly, I hope they won’t be much of an issue in the future. I have an incision just to the right of my Adam's-apple that is about 1.5 - 2 inches long. I plan to return to work on Monday.

Since this is much more common in the UK, my private insurance was a non-issue.

I'll keep you posted in a week or so but so far all is well. Maybe I'll post a picture of my post surgical x-ray too. Cheers all and keep up the fight.

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.