Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have you ever heard of this being used for fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went to the doctor...and he told my back had little signs of fusion on the catscan. So, on the 18 of AUG he's going back in through a huge incision, to check the signs of fusion. He's going to put some sponge like crap to promote fusion. He said he used it last time, and it cost like $5000 dollars a package. Good thing I've been keeping up with my cobra payments.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? My doctor recently spoke to me about using my own bone or cadaver bone, but never mentioned this before. Seems like he would have being I've had it before. I should have asked, but at 29, I had no clue about anything going on with my surgery. I'm very well informed now.

3 epidural spinal injections late 07'
painful diskogram early 08'
L4-S1 fusion in April 08'
3 more epidurals in early 09' (why, because they don't work)
tons of MRI's/Catscans in recent months.
Another surgery on Aug 09' to explore and fix previous fusion

• Jessie,
    My guess is that he is going to use BMP (bone morphogenic proteins) to promote fusion. Do you have another appointment scheduled with your doc prior to surgery so that you can ask him exactly what the procdure will entail? It sounds like you have some outstanding questions. Good luck.
  • Can't say too much without more detail, but there are various things on the market that they place in the disc space to help promote bone growth and fusion. Usually it is infused with some of your own bone cells to promote osteogenesis(new bone growth) using this substance as a scaffold.

This should be much less surgery than your first surgery, but the incision may be the same.

Good Luck