Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi all, Im a new member and am so glad to have found there are others suffering each day with this miserable pain in mt neck and trapezius muscles. Its been going on for years and I have tried everything from surgery to botox with no real releif. What do they say...."misery loves company"? Well I'm just glad tere are some people who can appreciate what this is like plus I hope to learn from all of you and your experiences. Pam

• Pam to the forum. You will find a lot of understanding and support here....our members are amazing. If there is ever anything that I can do for you then please feel free to just let me know. Take care....Miki
  • so sorry you have neck and trapezious pain.
    i know a little bit about what you are going through. has there ever been anything you have tried that has reduced the pain?
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome. I hate that you have this pain too. When did you have surgery? What kind of meds are you on? This is really a pain in the neck isn't it? It's so tiresome. You're right, misery does love company. At least here people understand and don't think we're just complaining. Well, I do a lot of that but here everyone understands. Hope you're having a good day. Take care.

• I am new as well, and I also have the exact pain as you do, so I feel for you. Good Luck!

• What kind of Surgery did you have?? Did it help at all?
    Kimber....take care...
  • Im New also and the muscle pain in back is bad for me had ACDF 2006. I am So glad i found this forum

• after ACDF in 2006? Progressive? Was it as bad before your surgery...or just arm pain before the surgery?
    Just trying to figure it out as my pain has increased 10 fold from 5-7 to 8-12 in the last week....now having arm pain as well as every listed in my signature....horrible!
    Meds not helping now. Having to take every 3 hours...not 4-6. Trying to get into doc soon and get a real date for surgery and findd something for breakthrough pain, possible?
  • when i get terrible pain like you i take a piece of ice and put it on the skin in between my thumb and index finger. i rub it slowly. only ice works for me.....give it a shot....
  • I've had that sort of thing for 20 years or so, and I've nearly had enough!
    Too much computer and desk work did it for me.
    Luckily I was directed by my new pain doc to try remedial massage, as he diagnosed my neck pain as muscular, not arthritic.
    And it turns out he was right.
    I'm now having a weekly remedial massage of about 50 minutes, where the knots are teased out and the muscles relaxed and stretched.
    BINGO! Neckaches and headaches have gone.
    She has found my back muscles are a huge mess and they are pulling on my neck muscles, hence the neck pain.
    After a massage I am pain free.
    It gradually comes back, but she has found that she can now get into the inner muscles layers, as the top ones are much better.
    They said it would take 2-3 months to see a real improvement.
    It was quicker than that, but I still need a weekly treatment.
    Also doing gentle stretches and exercises.
    So I'd advise you to include your muscles in your assessments and treatments, as if you don't you are omitting a major problem area.
    But don't expect to get better after a few massages-it will take months. And it must be remedial, not the 'feel good' sort.
  • I am new as well. I think the thing that scares me most is after being in severe pain for years, I just had surgery on Monday and was told I will probably have pain forever. I thank my sister-in-law for showing me this site. I dont think anyone around me truly knows what I am going through. Its nice to find people who truly do.
  • Most spine patients get the "you will probably always have pain" speech from their docs. What they don't tell you is that is is all very subjective as well. Always having pain doesn't mean that we will be in debilitating pain forever. In most cases it just means that from time to time, whether it's every morning or every once in a great while, you will be reminded that your spine has been "worked on".

If I allowed myself to focus on "I will always have pain", then I would be less likely to be interested in living my life and enjoying it. I live my life with different levels of "discomfort". Focusing on it that way allows me to go about my day without focusing on "I'm in pain".

Welcome to Spine Health.