Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does your pain make you tired?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Chronic Pain
I feel like I haven't slept for days and have been doing hard physical labor. So far today though, I've been for my walk, did my exercises and a little bit of housework. That's about it. Do any of you just feel completely worn out from pain? I have it in my neck, lower back and legs and by the time I 'fight' it all day I'm so tired. That doesn't mean I can sleep though. You all know how that goes don't you? It seems like my head is too heavy for my neck to hold up! I was just wondering if any of you feel like this too? Do you feel zapped by the end of the day?

Hope you're all having a good day today!
Debbie
advertisement

Comments

• :D Oh my lord yes! I thought I had chronic fatigue syndrome (I was in bed for two weeks straight barely able to get up and take a shower in May) and went through blood test with the hematologist, endocrinologist and primary care physician. All my test came back fine, even had a liver and spleen scan. I thought that just proved I was going nuts!

Since I got let go from my job in late May and I've been able to rest and not be under so much stress, I feel tons better. But, my pain levels have also decreased since that time. I've been thinking about all this a lot lately (now that I'm able to think) and I definitely feel that the chronic pain (at levels 7 to 10) will definitely make you tired.

If you think about what activities in your normal day zapped your energy tank and then add on top of that the stress of chronic pain, there's no tiger left in your tank. Cars can't run without gas, so why should you think you can.

I beat myself up mentally something awful thinking I should have been able to handle the pain, the meds, the job stress -- just wasn't tough enough. But now with some time without the severe pain racking my body every single day (as it did for months), I can see that I had every right to be exhausted.

Sister, I know what you mean about getting just a few things done and then you're exhausted, not to mention the effect the meds have on you. Everyone has a different physical constitution and we process our medications differently.

Just this week, after almost a year, I cleaned the whole house myself. I was ready to pull out the poms poms and do a cheer. Like most of the women on this site, if I got laundry done one day, dishes the other, grocery shopping, etc. just a few tasks a day, I was happy. (Like I had a choice in the matter)

And yes, where are the sleep gods when you need them?! I'm always tired but can't get enough hours of sleep, even tried sleeping pills.

Things have gotten much better for me, which I'm eternally grateful for. Even starting putting on a little makeup and lip gloss (woo hoo!)

Debbie, YOU ARE NOT ALONE in your fatigue -- it's part and parcel of this chronic pain thing. >:D<

Take care my spiney friend,

Judy
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Makeup! Made me laugh because I put on makeup the other day for the first time in a long time. That's something I always did daily whether going out or not...before that is.
    I've been trying to convince myself that it's alright for me to tell people that I just can't do stuff they ask of me. I'm always the one everyone calls for everything. Painting, remodeling, laying tile, landscaping, you name it. I've always loved it. Just these past few weeks I've been helping build a cabin doing stuff that I knew better than to do but I didn't want to say no. I've been helping an older couple with their mowing and have to pray for God to help me make it. I don't want to admit that 'I can't'. I've always said that I'm better able to do it than 'they' are. I've come to realize though that if my family really cared they wouldn't expect it. You know what? I just can't do it and I'm going to start saying so. Sorry, I don't know what brought that on.

Debbie

• oh yes, I'm with the rest of you. My 360 fusion & discectomy was 2-24 & I am in bed for the night
    at 7 p.m. I go for my walk every day & sometimes
    can go to the pool, I do light housework & some light cooking but it exhausts me. My back hurts
    and it for sure contributes to my exhaustion. If I go with my husband to the store & today I also went to the library, I will probably be worn out until Monday when I wake up. I am getting stronger and then was side tracked by a very bad case of - all things, shingles. I have just now gotten over that & it took a lot out of me. But I can tell I'm stronger even though I am one tired susie, I am still doing my best plus a little. Good luck to all of you that the exhaustion gets better as we get better.
  • Oh my gosh....pain is EXHAUSTING. And then it becomes a vicious circle: the more exhausted I feel from the pain, the more my ability to tolerate the pain deminishes. And the more difficult it becomes to tolerate the pain, the more difficult it becomes to sleep, even when I'm exhausted!

Whew! This is making me tired!
  • Not only is chronic pain so tiring but so is the depressed feelings we can all have.
    I was just tested for Lyme disease due to a rash on my arm that would not go away and started spreading. Now on top of all of my DDD spine problems I have to deal with Lyme. Thank Goodness it was caught in the earlier stage. Too many symptoms can be explained away by other things. In the end we have to take our health seriously and do what we need to do to be well.
  • i was going to do this post myself today!! my pain is making me very tired .i have no energy at all,i just want to sit in my recliner .if i manage to do anything i am knackered ..even showering is a chore.so no your not alone ..and grate minds think a like!
    STRAKER
  • Hi all,

Straker I just love that term knackered! LOL. After a year of bad pain that kept me from doing things and left me exhausted all the time, I went on MS Contin. After getting used to that med, I have more energy due to less pain. I still have to pace myself and conserve energy, but things have improved.

Best wishes to you all,

Marianne
    Maybe I should make my husband and son read these posts. They get mad at me when I'm too tired to do whatever they want me to. I also started taking Chantix Friday and I think I feel even worse now. Anyone else?

Debbie
  • when my pain levels are high, I get tapped out very quickly. I try not to let it get me down any more on the emotional side, but it does show as just exhaustion. That can be from sleepless nights, or for me, wakeing constantly, or instead of sleeping, I just sink into a level under conscious and I still am awake, just not verbally responsive. I hear everything and don't drop into sleep. I usually meditate now and send myself to sleep, but I still have nights that I don't. Pain is too high or meditating is really not helping, I am trying too hard.

The worse is to wake, and realize that I never did sleep and then the exhaution hits me like a wall. I can have 2 or 3 days like this and then I finally sleep.

I hope your feeling better.
  • It is always a balance between what you would like to do, usually in your head as opposed to what you can do and finding some acceptance, some days you may be able to do very little and that is Ok. The key is to do more when you can and using those infrequent opportunities however small to make some improvement and standing still is regressing over the longer term.

Working through the pain is only feasible if it is possible and nobody would expect you to even try to continue through excruciating pain and see any benefit. You need to know when to push and when not to, stress can make us all tired and trying to relax is never easy and takes some practice.

Start small and have some success find out for you what makes the pain worse and what makes it less if anything, many here are in constant pain as you and it is not easy working through it, the alternative is to sit back and take what comes.

We may never be able to perform as we id or would like and I have had this pain for 20 years as debilitating as all the stories I read here, the responsibility is your and your alone, with the correct support and guidance you will achieve great things, we are all trying to help we have done that and know what it feels like and the frustration. When I am tired I rest, I rest before I get tired and when those opportunities for activity arise I try to pace myself back into it, it is not easy.

It is just as easy to waste energy doing nothing and takes no more effort to be doing something you have worked hard in the past to survive and you can do this, only some have learned and become accustomed to be doing nothing for the most part we all try very very hard for little gain, it is hard but we must try.

Take care, pain is never easy, we can all do more, never give up on yourself.

John
    almost everyone here is worse than I am. You've all suffered for so long and been through so much. I'm thankful that I haven't dealt with this for that long.
    When I said that they were mad yesterday because I didn't feel like doing what they wanted it wasn't that they wanted to go somewhere. My son wanted me to help him work on his truck (I do that sometimes when I can) and my husband was wanting me to help him mow the lawn. I didn't give in and do it yesterday but today I've been weedeating from 8 till after 1:00. It's amazing what you can do if you take enough of pain pills and muscle relaxers! Then come in and moan and groan.
    I can do a lot of things that most here are unable to do and still I complain because I can't do enough. I am thankful to be able to and I do as much as possible. I need to learn to pace myself more. There are so many of you who aren't able to even get out of the house and I really do sympathize with you. I can't even imagine what you've had to go through while learning to accept your limitations. You all have my respect for dealing with your continuous pain so well and still offer support to others. I wish I could be as strong.

Debbie
  • Debbie, please accept that I too feel that my issues are very mild, when compared to others who are here. For me, I have to stop comparing myself to anyone esle, and only compare myself to yesturday and figure out what I can handle today.

I am sore today, quite bad in fact, because I did a lot of things that I should not have. And have been doing it for 2 days. So I am paying for it. Chainsaw,woodpile and a tractor, Yes - I know I should not be doing that! LOL - but I think I am still 24 years old.

There are times that I have to absolutely stop and not move, but that is an event where I am about 1 pain level from heading to the ER to get advice. My sweetheart knows that there are times that I must stop everything and there are times when I will still do the "Knight in Shining Armor thing", and she has to hope that I am paying enough attention to myself that I don't hurt something.

What I am trying to say is that to each of us, we all think our issues are small, and others have it some much worse. The comforting thing is that all of us are here, trying to get through another day, the best we can, sharing a couple ideas that work for us to drop the pain level a bit.

Hope your feeling better, david
  • Exactly David !!! Comparing to the other person to feel better or worse. It's one thing when it is in reference to an injury/surgery/discussion. But whether you had more surgeries and your pain is more. Honestly, it doesn't make me feel one bit better or worse. My pain is mine, yours is yours. I think we can all agree it sux though...

It does drain you. Nerve pain and the like. They are constant. When there is no let up your body is in a constant state of self defense. That has to require energy. How much I have no idea. But it does. I have never felt this tired on a continuing basis in my life. Some of it is getting older. Some is lack of exercise. So I am finding different exercises I can do. Knocking down B complex vitamins to try and counteract the pain and get energy back. When I go walk I feel good. Better than taking pills or laying down.

When I went to my GP for my annual physical. He told me to go get something done with my back. That the PT and other things we tried aren't helping. He said it simply, "You need a break from this crap". He gave me a B12 booster just because I asked. He's offered anti-depressants for the mood swings. Don't want any part of that. I firmly believe anti-depressants don't really help with depression. Unless you have some real chemical imbalance. You have to overcome the depression. You need something to look forward to or do. Not more pills to balance it. That is an illusion. Sorry I got on a rant on that part.

Graham
  • Hey pain is pain you have it or you do not, it is never easy either way and nobody would wish this 20 time for anyone, I can still equate how all this started and it is never easy for anyone.

take care

John
    You may be right about the comparisons. When I go to my doctor I end up talking more about his problems than I do mine. I don't know why I try to act like "I'm tough, a little pain won't kill me." You know?
    I hope that you're having a good day. Hope you soon get over this so you can get back to the woodpile and overdo it again. As for thinking you're still 24, I like to think that way too! I'm 42 and I'm not growing old gracefully..I'm fighting it every step of the way. 8}
    Debbie
  • Debbie,
    I think pain is only a piece of the puzzle. I've found that since I started taking some of these meds that I sleep all night every night but never get good sleep. I wake up tired & worn out. Shoot, I'm already behind the 8-ball! It's hard not to be tired all the time when you start out that way.
    Jay
    I agree that going for a walk will almost always make me feel better. I've always said that my garden is my therapy. I can usually get in a better mood just by going out and messing around in my garden or playing with my dog. The times I feel the most exhausted are the times when my pain is too bad for me to do anything.
    I don't know if I completely agree with you about the anti-depressants. If you're not physically able to do anything or go anywhere it might be hard to deal with it without meds. But I do agree that they're over prescribed.
    Hope you're having a good day.

Debbie
    You're right, pain is pain. Still, someone who has pain 24/7 at an 8 or 9 on the scale is much worse than someone whose pain is a 4 or 5 maybe only three or four days a week. It all gets very tiresome though doesn't it? You're right too though, why compare?

Have a good day.
    Debbie
    How have you been doing? Love all the pictures!

When I take a lot of muscle relaxers I think the more I sleep the more tired I feel! They do make me feel very bad. Makes you wonder sometimes if taking the meds is worth it doesn't it? I think that way sometimes and try to do without them but it doesn't take long until I go back to them. I hope that you've been having a good week. Take care,
    Debbie
  • LOL, yes I've done that. Skip one night of meds and pay for it the next day, won't do that again!!

Last week was pretty rough, I'm having problems with what feels like pulled muscles from overdoing things all of a sudden. This week hasn't too bad but I'm being careful and taking extra valium :) Seems I need to make sure I stop when my body says stop... go figure!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the pictures, soon I'll have some more to share!
    Jay
  • With chronic pain...it just zaps the life right out of ya!! I do not SLEEP!! I manage to "rest" off and on at night but have yet to "sleep" all night long!!!
    I think after dealing with LIFE and having CHRONIC PAIN thrown on top of it all...it just takes the wind out of ur sails!! or at least---it does me!! So...u r def not alone on the TIRED thing!!! Be praying for you!!
    We do need to stop when our bodies say stop. That's where I have a problem too. My hubby says I'm too stubborn. I'm not stubborn. :^o

I'm glad you're feeling better this week. I've never tried Valium. Probably knock me loopy. 8} What is Avinza? I haven't heard of it before. Do you still get good results from the tramadol?

Debbie
    I can't function if I don't sleep well. Have you tried any sleeping pills? Being so tired and worn out makes the pain escalate.
    It seems like my fatigue comes in cycles and it does go hand in hand with my more painful days.
    I hope you get to feeling better soon. Also hope you get some rest. Can your doctor prescribe something for you? Do muscle relaxers make you sleepy? They do me but leave me zapped the next day too.

Take care,
    Debbie
  • No i don't have sleeping pills...but i do have enough painkillers to knock down a horse!! LOL...I just think I push myself beyond the point of being able to relax and rest!!
    I am the worlds worst on taking my pain meds...I have 2 kids and I hate being and feeling so loopy when they are around!! I do take them at night but by the time they kick in...it is 2:00 in the morning...then I am up at 6:00am....NOT GOOD!! Just gotta figure out a happy medium on how to get some SLEEP!!
  • Debbie,
    When I took the valium 4x a day (actually 3x, I wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night to take one) I was pretty loopy. I normally only take that in the evening.

Avinza is an ER morphine, I just take 1 per day and it lasts 24 hours. I believe it is similar to MS-Contin. My PM doc is trying to adjust my meds now so that I don't have to take anything during the day. The Avinza dose isn't quite enough yet. I still take 100mg Tramadol during the day and it helps. The worst part about this is that nothing is helping the numbness/tingling/electricity in my leg and that drives me absolutely batty! @) The only thing that helps with that is my TENS. I go in later this month and I'm sure we'll adjust again. The PM doc won't do any more procedures, just adjust meds until other docs can find the problem.
    Jay
    Are you scheduled to see any other doctors? Tests? I know that nerve pain (numbness, tingling) can drive you crazy! I had a Morton's neuroma removed from my foot and where the surgeon cut the nerves it took them well over a year to 'settle' down. It would just hit out of the blue kind of like a live wire. Thankfully it doesn't do that very often anymore. You tried the neurontin and couldn't take it didn't you? That stuff made my brain foggy.
    My PCP wanted to send me to PM but I didn't want to go but I think we may discuss it again the next appt. The tramadol just doesn't do it. Well, it does help but not enough. I took your advice and take tylenol with it and it does work better.

Debbie
    I don't know why I do this to myself. After all the stuff I've been doing lately my back is absolutely killing me. I can hardly turn my head, my lower back (butt) and legs are aching and burning. More than normal. I can't hardly even stand up right now. I know it's my own fault for doing to much. I would love to go soak in the tub...if I could get in it. Shoot. I'll never learn. Just telling this here because if I tell hubby how bad it is he'll fuss at me for doing stuff and he'll say "I told you". Don't you hate that? lol

Debbie
  • i can take 300mg of Oxycontin/norm throughout the 24 hour period and 20 mg of temazepam .but i am still never out of pain {yes it takes the edge of and stops that serious vicious pain the pain that you just can't stand ..you know what i mean !} but i am left with dull back ache that is made worse by standing /leaning bending as if to but on sock/and sitting on anything other than a recliner .to add to all that my leg feels like it is being crushed and my foot is numb/cold.and all this is AFTER pain killers .so yes i am tired as i can't sleep much ..i just want to feel well again chronic pain is slow death
    STRAKER
  • I had to bump up this thread because I can identify with everything being said. I am exhausted physically because I try to live my life normally and it makes me hurt, and I'm exhausted mentally from worrying and stressing over being in pain. It is a vicious cycle, and hard to break. We had friends over for dinner a few nights ago, and I had to take meds to make it through. We had a good time, but I find myself dreading entertaining any more because it just makes me hurt, and that in turn exhausts me for days and makes me depressed. Ugh.

I also tend to beat myself up about not being able to handle the pain. Like I just need to ignore it and get on with my life. But it's not that easy, is it? It's like a living, breathing thing that never leaves me alone.

Anyway, while I wouldn't wish pain on anyone, it's good to see that I'm not alone, even when my pain makes me feel that way.
  • just carnt have a normal life especially when you are on strong pain killers and carnt sleep .don't feel too bad about it and sleep when you can
    STRAKER
advertisement