Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck pain and choking getting worse by the day

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone who has been fused at c5 c6 had choking problems years after there fusions, I am starting to be worried that I may have problems above or below my fusion.I have pain in the neck just below the skull any Ideas? Help

Had c5 c6 fusion in 2001 my graft bone the usual plate and screws. Left arm elbow reconstruction pins plates screws and wires reworked 3 times ulnar nerve moved 2 times,left rotator repair 2002, 2nd repair with partial colar bone removal 2005. Jan 6 2009 hit in head by a road reflector that was thrown by snow plow through driver side window lucky just stitches, had mri to check fusion er doc said it was intact now I am having problems

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I think I would be calling the doctor to investigate.
    I had previous fusion of c5-6 and began having difficulty swallowing after 4 years of surgery. After MRI it was discovered that I had 2 broken screws and my plate was backing out and putting pressure on my esophagus. Hopefully your issue will not turn out to be serious but I would be on the safe side and get it checked
  • thanks for the information, if you had broken screws what did you have to have done to correct it, more surgery?
    I dont think my post yesturday was to well put together I was having a very bad day I think to much meds.

thank to all that answer Ken
    I had surgery to remove the plate and screws(the screws that were not incorporated into the bone).Also the prior fusion was a failure so I had corpectmy at c5-6 with fusion of c4-7 with new plate. If your fusion was successful and your issue is just hardware they can just remove the hardware. Have you had a recent MRI? One of the symptoms I had from the malfunctioning hardware was rapid weight loss. I was told due to the esophagus being compressed. I also had increased pain. Have you spoke with a doctor about the choking feeling? Let me know how you are doing and good luck
  • Hi Susan, I just called my neuro who did my fusion and he in not at that practice any more, so I will start to look for a new one, in my case I am not loosing weight, I dont eat as much with the choking but I am gaining about 1/2 to 1 lb a week.I have so much pain on the left side of my body I dont know where to start, I guess it is all from my neck.

I would start with my primary care phy.to get the ball rolling. You will probably need a referral to see a neurosurgeon (a new one). I do know that if you have neck issues it can affect the function of your thyroid gland.